1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens killed the rat from Nihm!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stephhassler, Dec 11, 2009.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Yesterday I posted about a very smart rat who refused to be caught by any of the traps I put out for him. This morning I went in the coop and notice he had dug a tunnel in through the coop bedding. I began to berate the chickens, telling them they shouldn't allow a dirty rat in the coop to eat their food and poop all over. Then I notice a dead rat in the corner of the coop. He appeared to have been pecked in the stomach. Of course I immediately apologized to everyone and began to tell them what wonderful, smart, brave chickens they are. Go chickens!

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    cool

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    That's awesome!

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

5. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was planning after the weather clears up…..no rain…..that I would tie one of my cat’s toy mice on a thread and drag it across the yard and see if I NEEDED to train the chickens to “kill”. It they chase it and attack, I am home free. If not, training is in order. [​IMG]

6. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Saw one of our chochins run down a small lizard today in the backyard. Pecked it, shook it, and down the hatch. NASTY:p

8. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive seen my chickens playing keep away with a mouse before.

9. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    We have a bunch of little sparrows and finches that live in my apricot tree right next to the chickens. Everyday when I walked outside there would be a cloud of tiny birds flying out of the coop and run. Those birds kept eating all of my chicken feed. When I would refill there feeder there would be a ton of little bird poos everywhere. They were just as bad as mice or rats.

Then the other morning I went out to check on the girls and noticed a few tiny piles of feathers by there feeders. I first thought on my they are really pecking at each other, which is weird since they never have done that. I went inside the coop to get a better look and it was one sparrow and one finch, my girls I guess had had enough of the birds eating there feed. The birds were pretty much pecked so much there was nothing left just a head and some small pieces.

Proud to say that now when I go outside there isn't a huge cloud of birds flying away anymore. If there is a bird in there it is only a brave one darting around the chickens. [​IMG] Great girls I have. [​IMG]

Glad they got your rat! Hopefully they will be on rat patrol from now on.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I agree with Loreen, [​IMG]! You go girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by