My chickens' latest favourite treat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ninabeast, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    This one is the gift that keeps on giving...

I go out to my raspberry bushes first thing in the morning with a plastic container. I find those wretched Japanese Beetles eating my plants, all smug and sleepy. They will be a swarm soon, ravaging my vegetables. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

I
    place the open container carefully under a leaf with beetles on it, and clap the lid on top of them. They fall in. I collect as many as I can, which is easier in the morning because they are slow and stupid. When I've found all I can, I go to the chickens, shaking the closed container. Bedlam ensues.

I give the container a good shake to disorient the residents, open it, and quickly turn it upside down on the floor of the run. The chickens have assembled in a tight circle, all anticipation, clucking wildly, rocking from foot to foot. I say "One, two, three...GO!", and lift the container. The beetles are eaten before I can blink.

I love my chickens. Never was feeding them more cathartic. Die, beetles, DIE!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

It's amazing what joy we get from our feathered "beasties", isn't it? LOL

[​IMG]

3. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    I did the same thing, only with the wretched Colorado potato beetles that tried to destroy my crop this year. Sweet revenge... [​IMG]

4. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    Quote:This brings such a smile [​IMG] Love my chickens too and the visual of them hopping from foot to foot waiting for the beetles. I LOVE IT!

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My roo, Jack, will be going to a new home soon. I hope they catch beetles for him because he's my best customer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by