My chickens laying in the nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KittyKisska, Oct 23, 2016.

1. KittyKisska

KittyKisska Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    I have 34 Red Rd., Island chickens they're they're five months old so all of them are laying eggs by now but they're just laying on the ground and they're starting to lay on the outdoor area none of them are laying in the nesting boxes I have tried to put eggs in the nesting boxes and golf ball in them the nesting boxes are always clean and full of straw but they just choose the ground I don't know what to do anymore help is needed

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not sure how you got here but that’s not important now. Could you post a photo of your nests and tell us nest size and how many? I don’t know if it matters or not, but it might help. Sometimes just a little bit of information can clear up a lot and make the answer a lot easier and you don’t always know what that information is ahead of time.

With all 34 laying it’s probably been going on a while even though they are quite young. It’s not all that uncommon for a pullet just starting to lay to drop an egg anywhere, from the roosts or just walking around. Some pullets just don’t have control over the process when they start. Most do but some can take a few days to gain control.

One way I’ve successfully trained pullets and even older hens to lay in the nests when they try to lay elsewhere is to lock them in a nest when I catch them on the ground when they are laying their egg. I made some of my nests so I could lock a chicken in there and it has come in handy for different reasons. I leave the hens or pullets in there until they lay their egg. That normally only takes about a half hour though I had one that took 3 hours. Most of the time I only have to lock them in there once for them to get the message, though occasionally it takes twice.

Leave the golf balls in the nests. Maybe if you can get a few to lay in the nests the others will follow. Good Luck!

3. KittyKisska

KittyKisska Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Thank you so much for all the tips I will be sure to try them out and I will send you a pic of the nesting boxes and the sizes tomorrow thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by