My chickens look PLUCKeD!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by watersoflethe, Jul 23, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    I dunno why but i came back from my trip to find that half of my young pullets looked PLUCKED!
    i'm assuming its stress from the heat it was 110 here recently and the overcrowding because they are getting too big for their coop. i was just about to sell them off too. I just want to make sure this is from their plucking and not any other disease. has anyone heard of a disease where chickens look plucked?They are about 9 weeks old now

they are mostly missing body feathers some are missing tail feathers and some are missing couple wing feathers.

oh yea the one who has it worst is my RIR cockerel...
    here's a pic of his back when i hold the feathers open
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have some 9-10 week old chicks who look like that too. Chicks go through 3 or 4 molts in their first year, so I am assuming my chicks and yours are going thru one. I have 28 chicks and only about 6 or 7 look like that.

They should be fine, they just look raggedy.

Angie

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    watersoflethe. I agree with you that it was stress related... picking, caused by the relentless heat and overcrowding. Just in case, visually inspect them for lice/mites.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I agree with dawg.

5. savila009

savila009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    watersoflethe,

X3!!! Im north of you in central valley and it got to 105 here. My chickens were miserable in that.

But I will add if i was full of feathers in 110 heat I might pull my own feathers out![​IMG]

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Try free ranging for the space

7. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Also look up Hen Saver Hen aprons. They've been a sponsor here on BYC in the past. It'll help cover the picked area. [​IMG]

8. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:better yet, give your chickens some nice shade and save the dress-up for toy dog breeds.

Chickens are forest creatures and will appreciate some shade and cover. When crammed into an unsuitable backyard coop environment, these things happen.

Shrubs they won't destroy: Lavender, Rosemary, Sage. Bamboo is great too, but that's a whole "nother" thing. and they do enjoy bamboo leaves, but they won't destroy it.

9. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:can mites cause this? some of my silkies picked up mites and i've been treating them but i dont visually see any mites on these chickens. i can see them on my silkies but non of my silkies are plucked..... should i also treat them for mites? they get a regular dusting of DE....

Quote:i do. [​IMG] but its been so hot that i think they are overly stressed.

Quote:i would but due to zoning isssues i'm going to have to get rid of half my flock and i was going to get rid of my younger pullets since i'm less attached to them... [​IMG]

10. watersoflethe

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:better yet, give your chickens some nice shade and save the dress-up for toy dog breeds.

Chickens are forest creatures and will appreciate some shade and cover. When crammed into an unsuitable backyard coop environment, these things happen.

Shrubs they won't destroy: Lavender, Rosemary, Sage. Bamboo is great too, but that's a whole "nother" thing. and they do enjoy bamboo leaves, but they won't destroy it.

they actually do have lots of shade and their coop is open so they have lots of air... its just with the weather as hot as it is you can't really get away from the heat...
    they also get to free range every day... but... i think its just too hot here...

can i spray them down with some water? eheheh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by