1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens look too much alike!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jollyscrapmom, Jul 10, 2011.

1. jollyscrapmom

jollyscrapmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    My darling little chicks, who were very easy to identify, have grown up to be very similar to one another. Is there a way, short of spray paint, that will help me tell them apart at a glance. If they're all together, I can usually work out who is who, but if I see them separately, it's next to impossible!

Thanks!

Kelly:/

2. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    You could put colored bands on their legs. You just have to make sure you put new bands on as they grow so they don't get too tight. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info on this or another suggestion. I didn't do it with my chicks, but I've seen it on here before.

ETA: Here is one of the many threads that mentions them & where to get them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=400920

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Yes colored bands!

This is why I have all different breeds, I knew I'd get WAY too confused!

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    We just put a plastic zip tie on one of our two production reds. It took two people to do this safely, as we cut the excess plastic off at the nub. Made sure we left growing room, but will keep an eye on it.

5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Coloured bands do work nicely.
    I agree with you about how they all look the same, by the way [​IMG] If it weren't for the colour of their feathers, I'd never be able to tell my hens apart! [​IMG] Some have speckles, one is a lighter shade of orange... if it wasn't for these differences, I'd probably have to tag them too.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Mine all look the same so its all good. I call out one name & they all come running. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by