My chickens look too much alike!

jollyscrapmom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
My darling little chicks, who were very easy to identify, have grown up to be very similar to one another. Is there a way, short of spray paint, that will help me tell them apart at a glance. If they're all together, I can usually work out who is who, but if I see them separately, it's next to impossible!

Thanks!

Kelly:/

You could put colored bands on their legs. You just have to make sure you put new bands on as they grow so they don't get too tight. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info on this or another suggestion. I didn't do it with my chicks, but I've seen it on here before.

ETA: Here is one of the many threads that mentions them & where to get them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=400920

Last edited:
We just put a plastic zip tie on one of our two production reds. It took two people to do this safely, as we cut the excess plastic off at the nub. Made sure we left growing room, but will keep an eye on it.

Coloured bands do work nicely.
I agree with you about how they all look the same, by the way
lau.gif
If it weren't for the colour of their feathers, I'd never be able to tell my hens apart!
lau.gif
Some have speckles, one is a lighter shade of orange... if it wasn't for these differences, I'd probably have to tag them too.

Back
Top Bottom