My chickens love dog food, especially the wet stuff.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JohnnyHarkerHts, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JohnnyHarkerHts

JohnnyHarkerHts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    it's funny to watch them go at it when I put a can of wet dog food out for them.

They like to eat big chunks of the stuff, even though they have to clean off their beaks to eat the next bite.

They like dry dog food too, which is convenient, because my spoiled dogs will often not eat what I give them quickly enough. I used to have to throw it out, but not anymore.

I started to experiment when a hen went all broody, and quickly looked like she was on the verge of death. I didn't know at the time broody chickens can lose almost all their feathers when they're broody.

I figured dog food would provide her the extra fat and protein she needed to get through it, and she was happy to eat all that I'd give her, even when she was broody.

The results seemed to be good overall. I don't know how quickly their feathers are supposed to grow in after being nearly bald, but it's just short of 3 weeks, and she's almost fully feathered now, and very healthy looking.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep, chickens LOVE dog food (dry or wet)!
    I buy a lot of dog food and usually toss some out onto the ground for the chickens since I rarely have any scratch for them.
    It's a real treat and adds some add'l protein (as you've found out).
    [​IMG]

3. JohnnyHarkerHts

JohnnyHarkerHts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    The UGLY truth is unfortunately is a lot of dog food is just meat flavored chicken scratch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by