My Chickens love the rain... do yours????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    My family had Chickens when I was a kid but this is a new adventure for me... I ordered 12 Welsummer chickies back in July and now the girls and Brewster the rooster have grown in to lovely teenagers....they are 7 weeks old now, they have been out side in the coop for about a month. We have a nice covered run and they are free to roam inside and out all day. Today on my way home from work I got caught in a horrible downpour....it was raining so hard I could barely see 5 feet in front of me.. as I drive into the drive way I am thinking to my self.. I should go close up the coop... worrying about the rain getting in... so I decide to do so and as I turn the corner I see all 12 of the chicks running out in the rain... flapping thier wings and being just to darn happy! They see me comming and immediately run to the corner of the pen.. follow me around into the coop...this is a ritual I have worked out with them... they of corse get some treats when they get into the coop.. today was some left over fruit salad and dunkin munchkins... yummy!! they were all dripping wet andmuddy but did not seem to mind it at all.. I plugged the heat lamp in for some warmth.. suppose to get cold later tonight

Is this normal behavior for chickens....I would think they would hate rain... may be because it was thier first experience with it.. who knows... I can't wait to see what they do in the snow LOL:rolleyes:

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Rain...what is that? My girls were born in March and April...have not seen it much so no idea what it is! [​IMG]

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Mine at 16 weeks don't seem to notice rain unless it is really pouring hard. Then they will huddle in the coop. Otherwise, they are out in the run, business as usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by