My chickens love these grubs/larvae, but what are they?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ella&clara, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
  2. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    You my friend are the fortunate receiver of black soldier fly larvae. Cultivated by some on purpose to create feed for animals such as fish and birds. They are good eaters of chicken poop and compost such as potatoes (the easiest way to catch them). There are also ways to make a collection system.

They are approximately 21% protein (at least from what I can find on the internet). The adult flies do no harm and you'll have them as long as the weather is warm.

Congratz and enjoy.

Kiz

3. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Great! I am glad to hear that! I know folks do try to raise them to feed chickens, and they seem to be doing a marvelous job of raising themselves in the heat of the compost pile. Maybe I'll throw them some potatoes [​IMG]

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Birds LOVE those buggers. They love compost piles and will eat everything but tough cellulose. They're beneficial bugs, too. They put off an odor that keeps regular house flies away.

5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    slice a potato into about 1/2 inch thick slices. throw them in the pile. Come back about an hour or two later pick up the slices and the back side and underneath will have lots of little larvae for your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by