My chickens make a squeaking noise when they see me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinewatts4, Jul 29, 2013.

1. carolinewatts4

carolinewatts4 In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    When I approach the coop calling "Ladies!" and open the door to say hi, some of my hens will start talking and the tone is higher like a squeak. When one does it others follow. What does it mean? Are they happy to see me?

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens make all manner of noises. Over time, you will come to associate certain noises with certain behaviors.

If they are coming toward you, they are glad to see you.

Chris

3. nesther

nesther In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Ooh mine does that to me as well!

4. nesther

nesther In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Could someone please help me!!! My chicken hates it when I pick her up! What do I do about it?

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Just keep trying. Some chickens take time to warm up to you and some never really like to be picked up.its just going to depend on the chicken themselves. I had one that hated being picked up and I kept trying and trying. When she got older she loved to be petted but never quite grew into liking being held. then I had others who love to be held. They are little individuals with there own unique personality. Some love being held others don't. Keep trying especially if she's young and she might come around. It just depends. I tried to Handle all my birds when they were young still I have one that hates to be picked up. It depends on the personality of the bird. Sometimes they outgrow it. But sometimes not. Just keep handling her and see if she comes around. Best wishes.

6. nesther

nesther In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Oh you are so nice! Thank you!!!! I will keep trying to hold her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by