My chickens, My friends...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JodyJo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    How many love the end of the day...you get home, your chickens see you and run to greet you...swarming around your feet, to the point you are almost kicking them....they LOVE me....(or they are just expecting their daily treat!?) [​IMG]

I like to think they love me....it is soooo cute! I need someone to get a picture of it for me...![​IMG]

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I have some chickens that act this way, and I do enjoy it. I know that many of my chickens are just looking for food; it's nice that they do realize where their food and water come from though. [​IMG] There is one old English game bantam roo, though, that seems to be rather infatuated with me in his little chickeny way. He almost always comes into the coop to see me if he knows I'm there and starts clucking up a storm at me. I know those wiley rooster ways, though, and I don't accept treats from him. [​IMG] He'll also try to roost on me if I'm in there near roosting time when it's getting dark. He likes to play in my hair. [​IMG] His little hen is very personable as well, but she will literally scream at me to give her treats. I also have a cochin pullet that's blind in one eye and is exceedingly friendly; I'm pretty sure it's from all the handling she received as a very young chick when I was picking her up every day to inspect her eye and treat it with Neosporin. There are a few other chickens (mostly young cockerels, but a few pullets as well) that will fly up and sit with me if I sit down on a bench I have out in the run. I've noticed that if one chicken decides to roost on me, then some of the others are more likely to join in; birds of a feather and all, I guess. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love my chickens, and ducks, and geese, too. They range freely on my two-thirds of an acre. I've got over sixty chickens and the next door neighbors keep 12 hens and a duck in a coop and run. They toss food over into the run for them twice a day and freshen their water every day or so.

It amazes them when they see almost all of my flock come running whenever I come outside or arrive at home, opening the drive gate to enter my property. It looks like they're mobbing my car. If I'm doing chores outside, I usually have a small entourage of chickens. I can call the geese or almost any chicken by name and they'll come running from wherever they are in the yard. Well, the geese wander my direction in a more dignified and stately fashion...

The ducks aren't as friendly, but they aren't mean or anything, they're just more interested in their various kiddie pools than chatting it up with me.

I love 'em all.

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    My chickens have always come to me as adults before--semi-feral and unhandled at best. This is OK w/me--I love them for who they are--but it IS nice to be popular w/ the new Young 'Uns. Bianco and Audrey come running whenever they see me--If I ride by on my horse they run along the run fenceline clucking up at me! And when I go in, Audrey jumps either to my shoulder or to my back (if I dare to bend down). !!! THAT freaked me out the first time it happened! Bianco is more circumspect and b/c he's a rooster I'm insisting that we have holding sessions regularly so I sometimes have to chase him down. But even if he doesn't want to be handled he DOES want to be near me. Those 2 always come running and it DOES make a girl feel popular! [​IMG]

5. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I love my chickens.... and I don't care who thinks I am crazy ! I have a bunch of chickens and my geese that wait at the door for me. But when I start out to the barn, they all coming running and yes... I trip over them, step on their toes or feathers. [​IMG] Some fly up on my head or back. They are a blast. [​IMG]

p.s. I have over 200. [​IMG]

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I can't wait to get home from work each day to spend time with my girls. Very relaxing and they give me lots of great laughs. Nice ending to frustrating and tiring days at the office. I don't even mind the poop picking to keep their run and coop clean lol [​IMG]

7. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I love coming home to my friends!! They can't wait for me to let them free range!! I know they are looking for treats, but they also stick around after the treats and amuse me with their silliness!! Watching them is great stress relief!!!

8. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I love my chickens.They were a blessing for me during a hard time in my life.They come to me when I'm in the yard,I've got a few that talk to me when I go out and I just love to watch them.Some people get into dogs,cats,fish,snakes and a whole variety of animals.I sit at times for an hour at a time and just watch them.They do things that are funny and sometimes your not sure what they did.I talk about them all the time and I know that some people think I'm crazy.I don't care.I enjoy working on their coop and seeing what I can do to take better care of them.1 rooster and 7 hens.I add more in the spring so that I can cull out the older ones.I get an education and I have learned alot from my BYC Family.They aren't the filthy dirty stinking bird that alot of people think.If you do a little maint as you go along they are a joy.

9. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Count me in as one who has a friendly relationship with her flock. My girls all rush up when a human approaches and like to watch as we go about activities outdoors. Our landlady took care of them when we were out of town and she couldn't get over how personable my chickens were, they came up and listened politely to her conversation, and enjoyed interactions. [​IMG]

They will also literally stand in a row and their heads turn back and forth to follow my dogs when we play fetch, like they're watching a tennis match! I really need to video that some time...

Robin

10. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    My girls are the same way. I come home at lunch and they always are there waiting for their treat and of course when I get home from work I go see them as soon as I put my purse down. Tonight I went straight out to see them and even took my purse with me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by