My chickens only want pasta

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TieTie, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TieTie

TieTie In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2018
    They aren't eating their crumble as much and have even escaped from the run looking for more. I've tried withholding it but they get upset and don't settle until I give them some. It was supposed to be a treat but now it is becoming a staple. Is there anything I can do to re-train them to eat just their crumble and not depend so much on the treat without starving them?

2. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    Chickens won't starve if you leave them with crumble, eventually they'll eat what they have available

To make it easier try wetting the feed they might like that

3. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Just leave them with crumble. It's not like they are going to come into your house and open the cabinet, then boil themselves some pasta. You are the boss, you tell them what they are going to eat today, tomorrow and whatever the next day is.
    Or maybe you can just keep giving them pasta with a Lil sauce and a sprinkle of parm. Cheese... maybe tease it a bit with some garlic bread too. Yummy.

Seriously, you da boss. You say NO more pasta.. you fancy demanding Lil babies.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd like to eat nothing but steak and strawberries, but I know better. Your birds will eat a good fresh chicken food just fine. Offer nothing else for a while, and then maybe later, tiny amounts of other stuff. Treats and 'junk food' in very small amounts, not daily.
    Mary

5. Orpingtons43

Orpingtons43 Songster

Dec 27, 2017
    Alabama
    x2!!

Bdbutton likes this.
  6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I've had chickens for over 2 years and have never given them kitchen or table scraps.
    Anything cooked , peelings or people food, not.
    I have given them a whole apple that was bruised as well as grapes and any uncooked fruit or vegetable that is past its prime, but not rotten.
    I also give them a whole raw egg once or twice a week . I also wet their feed occasionally as a treat. I also give them scratch and mixed bird seeds scattered on ground as a treat. They have dry feed and water 24/7. GC

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    And I forgot to say 'WELCOME!"
    Mary

MROO likes this.

8. :welcome:hugs
    As others have said, withhold the pasta! They will stop their picky eating and start eating their crumbles.

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    :welcome

If it helps....

Think of their demanding squawk as a temper tantrum. Giving in reinforces the bad behaviour.

Mine go nuts for their regular feed soaked to make it the consistency of oatmeal.
    ;)

Pasta is very low in protein and other necessary nutrients. Maybe you can limit it to once a week as a treat. Just a small amount not a whole meal worth.

10. Keep up nothing but pasta and you'll have ill, malnourished, and rapidly dying birds. :(

Quit it... you are the responsible party.

NOTHING but feed for a while. Then add in things like scrambled egg (the protein is WAY more digestible if cooked) or meal worms (I prefer live). I do my treats ONLY at the end of the day before roost time after everyone had filled up on regular feed/forage. And no one is left in the lay box missing out.

NO treat should be fed at more than 10% of their total daily intake. Otherwise you are diminishing the formulated ration that has the correct vitamins, minerals, and importantly amino acids in the protein.

They will only starve to death if you let them get away with their demanding antic and give in. Then we will be slowly starving to death from lack of nutrients not calories. You had better harden up a little now or they will be running your life. :barnie

I don't mean to sound harsh... just give a good dose of reality. Chickens learn somethings (like harassing you for treats or to be let at a certain time in the AM) pretty fast and they are VERY persistent. :he BUT... they are creatures of habit, YOU set the routine and they will happily abide by it. Don't forget chickens are omnivores and they like meat! ;)

I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have, lots of great folks who really do care about helping us and our birds get the best in life. :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by