My chicken's poop like balls joined together

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arafatrx, Jan 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM.

1. Arafatrx

Arafatrx In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2018
    I have a hen and a rooster. They are around 8 months old. For last few days they are having poops like the balls are joined together. They are eating less. I provide them mainly rice and green vegetables because they do not like to eat feeds at all. I have attached a pic of their poop. Please help me. Thanks in advance. Screenshot_2019-01-14-18-39-00-713_com.miui.gallery.png

WannaBeHillBilly and Clubber1234 like this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you in the US? A balanced chicken feed if available would be the best for them. They are probably constipated from the diet. If you cannot get a balanced chicken feed I would try to make a mixture of ingredients found in chicken feed to give them. Corn, alfalfa, sorgum or milo, wheat, and soybeans are usual ingredients that give vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber. What vegetables are you giving? Do they have access to water during their waking hours all day long? How are they acting? Are they alert and active? Does the hen lay eggs?

3. Arafatrx

Arafatrx In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2018
    First of all they do not show any interest when i offer them corn, wheat, berley and feed. If i offer them they just leave them as it is in the food box at the end of the day. But they are very happy when they get greens like coly flower leaf, cabage and other vegetable leaf. Yes they are available to fresh water all day around. No they do not lay eggs. They like to sit idle but stand up and try to escape when i m near them.

WannaBeHillBilly and Clubber1234 like this.
  4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    What you are feeding is extremely low in protein, they need between 16-20% protein in their diet generally. ( I assume you are feeding cooked rice. Uncooked rice can wreak havoc on their gut, including blockages) You can try adding some sprouted seeds and grains to see if that will help them make the switch, sprouting is not difficult, lot of sites will tell you how to do it. Adding some chopped cooked egg, canned tuna (low or no salt) can help. But long term it's going to be best for them to get them on a properly balanced feed to keep them healthy. I would start mixing some of those in to make a gradual changeover from what you are feeding. Try making a mash with some feed (mix in water till it's a consistency they like) and mix in some cooked egg, etc. Most birds like feed made into a mash. It's very hard to make a homemade feed mixture that contains all the vitamins, minerals, protein, and micro-nutrients that they need to stay healthy. Once you get them switched, then keep the treats to 10% or less of their diet. I would also get a poultry vitamin if possible, and get them on that until you get the feed issue resolved and switched to something more balanced for them.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :goodpost:

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  6. Arafatrx

Arafatrx In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2018
    Thank u soo much for your help. I will try adding some feed with cooked rice and add some vitamines with water

WannaBeHillBilly and coach723 like this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If I were you, I'd just give them layer feed mixed with water to get them on track for laying eggs. Then eventually wean the water in the feed.
    What you're feeding them is like candy in a grocery store to a child. They dont have a complete balanced meal which will cause health problems in the near future.

8. Arafatrx

Arafatrx In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2018
    O
    Ok thank u so much for the advice :)

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  9. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you are unable to get a complete feed where you live (it really helps if you include your location on your profile page so that we can see each time you post and then we don't have to keep asking) some meat or fish is also necessary especially for growing birds, as they contain essential amino acids that are not found in grains and pulses. Formulated feeds have these synthesised amino acids added.
    Chickens can be like children when it comes to food and will sometimes be difficult about eating what is good for them. Just because your birds don't like regular chicken feed does not mean that you should just feed them whatever they will like. I'm sure there are plenty of children that will happily eat fries and cake every day and refuse proper balanced meals if they can get away with it but it doesn't mean you should just feed them that. They will learn to like their chicken feed if you stop giving them treats and you are jeopardising their health by just feeding them what they are currently eating.

I'm not sure if you are aware but they also need a source of grit to process the food that you have been giving them. Perhaps they can find enough grit in the area that they forage but it is better to provide some, especially if you are feeding them anything other than a pellet or crumble type feed.

10. Arafatrx

Arafatrx In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2018
    Yes u are absolutely r8 about their food habit. I myself is not not in the favour to feed them rice and veg only. Now i m planning to mix some layer feed with rice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: