My chickens prolapsing and they won't stay in!!!

Chickens like to peck me

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2018
One of my chickens is prolapsing iv've put a bandage over her but with a slit but they came out again a few hours later. Before i started putting the prolapse back in she was really pale with blue tinged wattles and whitish face. She seems a bit better now but how can I help her get better.:fl

Greetings Chickens like to peck me,

So very sorry to hear about your hen's issue.
If it is possible, you should take her to a Veterinarian ASAP.

If you can't take her to a Vet, here are my thoughts.

It is never good when an animal of any kind, has a prolapse. It is especially dangerous for a hen, because on top of laying an egg each day, they poop many times a day. This makes it difficult for the prolapse to heal, once it is pushed back in. If there is any tearing of the vent tissue or bleeding, it also complicates things, as infection can be introduced.

If your hen became pale in the wattles and face she was probably in shock.

What to do?

Separate the hen in a hospital crate, box or tub. Other hens can attack and peck at the prolapse.

I have never had to treat for a prolapse in my hens. So I am going to give you the suggestions of author: Amelia Barrows, "Treating the Sick or Injured Chicken".

Treatment:

• Wearing sterile gloves, apply honey to the protruding area. Honey will help hold the tissue in place, fight infection, and reduce swelling in the tissues.

• Next, carefully push the prolapsed vent into the hen. If it falls out again, reapply the honey and repeat until it stays.

Preparation H ointment, is also helpful in treating the swelling.

Treat with antibiotics for several weeks until danger of infection has passed.

You may need to fish out her eggs until she can pass them herself. A hen that has prolapsed is always in danger of prolapsing again.

I would also give her some electrolytes in her water, to help with shock. And hopefully, she will stop laying for a few days or more. Then, the prolapse will have a chance to heal. I will give my hens, half of a Tums tablet to boost calcium, when they are laying soft or brittle eggs. Hard shelled eggs are easier to pass, also.

Also, if you have Manuka Honey Medical grade, that is the best honey to use. Purchase at any Health Food Store.

These are my thoughts, I hope the are of some use to you.

Other members will give advice, as well, please consider these too. Then, make the best decision for your hen.

God Bless to you and your hen. :)

This is going to be a process for you and the hen. Keep her vent area clean. Flush the prolapse with sterile saline solution, then continue treatment.

Making saline solution :
  • Get a clean storage container and mixing utensil. Either wash them in the dishwasher or boil them for 5 minutes.

• Use 1 quart (4 cups) of distilled water, or boil 1 quart of tap water for 5 minutes. (Do not use well water or sea water.)

• Add 2 teaspoons of table salt.

• Mix the water and salt well until the salt is completely dissolved.
  • Cool to room temperature before using.
    Store at room temperature in tightly covered, sterile, glass or plastic bottle. You can keep it for up to one week. Then, make another fresh batch.
If this becomes contaminated with droppings, gets damaged or gets bigger, this will be bad for the hen, because infection can easily take hold, or the chicken might become very ill. In some chickens, the prolapse may heal and the hen will be OK. Many times prolapse is a sign that the chicken is starting to become significantly deficient in vitamins and minerals. So you should administer some poultry vitamins as well as, half a Tums tablet for extra calcium.

Her poops are watery because she may be a bit dehydrated and drinking water without eating much. Keep her on soft foods and moist feed.

If the prolapse doesn't get better, she may not survive. Even though she seems peppy when it prolapses again, she isn't well. The honey will keep her tissue covered and protected while preventing bacteria from invading. If her tissue dries out, it can also become necrotic. Then you may need to find a Vet to help you.

God Bless :hugs

Back
Top Bottom