My chickens quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cindy65, Dec 28, 2009.

1. cindy65

cindy65 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    My chickens began laying eggs about 4 weeks ago. My RIR lays everyday reliably and my aracauna and silkie were laying at least every other day. My rooster moved out about two weeks ago and now I haven't gotten one single green egg since. I don't know if it's because it's colder now or because there is no boy. Any ideas??

2. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    They should still continue to lay, even without a rooster. Do you have artificial light in the coop? If you don't, that may be the reason why they're not laying.

3. cindy65

cindy65 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    Yes, I have light in the chicken coop.

4. janie's silkies

janie's silkies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2009
    My chickens have stopped laying and I think it is because they are molting. I have been told to just be patient. Janie

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    How many hours of light daily?

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Breed and feed are both as important as light. I have no artificial light and about only 10 hrs good daylight, yet am getting 20 a day from 24 pullets and one of those is a runt with a pink comb at 7 months. My feed is nothing special at 16% protein.

You might try Calf-manna to supplement your feed. It is high-protein stuff and good for helping them regrow feathers during molt. [​IMG] Good for kick-starting them after molt too. If you are seeing lots of feathers, you may have one that is molting . That will tank egg production until feathers regrow. [​IMG]

7. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    possibly molting or it may be because its winter, sometimes they stop laying [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by