My chickens quit laying

EZZIEMAE

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
WESTERN NEW YORK
Anyone elses chickens quit laying? My have been about a month now with no eggs. There were a year old in april and they were late layers (we got our first eggs in Dec and we live in western new york where it it very cold in the winter) We were getting a good 3 dozen eggs for a while now POOF no more . Any ideas? Please and thanks:D

A couple of things will effect your laying. One is the current temperature, at least here in Delaware.

The second thing is that your chickens will molt, change feathers, and during that time they will not lay.

Good Luck

I am by no means any kind of chicken expert, but I would first have to wonder if you have something taking the eggs? What kind of hens are they? Do they go into the laying boxes and just not produce anything? I had an egg eating hen and I think she was managing to get about 2-4 eggs a day. I am sure some other folks on here who have been raising chickens for years might have some suggestions too. Hang in there.

Quote:
Thanks CatDaddyAlbert thats kinda what we are thing cause they were molting and now they are starting to look like chickens again. yes it has been very hot here as well.

Quote:
Thanks WyoChickenMamma i dont see that anyone is taking the eggs. our coop is secure pretty much from humans and wild animals. we have a very good watch dog so if anyone comes on our property he is pretty keen on letting us know human or animal wise. i havent seen any evidence of eggs eaters either. we also have ducks that quit laying.

In your case, I'd blame the molt more than the heat. Feather regeneration takes protein, and so do eggs, so the eggs have to stop to allow for feather regrowth. At least with my birds, eggs began again within 2-3 weeks of looking "normal" again. For future reference, you might consider mixing in game bird feed or provided high protein snacks during molts...

Back
Top Bottom