My Chickens Save Me

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, May 26, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright, so today I got in a real bad, hurtful fight with my mother. It was real bad, and by the end of it I was ready (and about to try) to rip my hair out. I was shaking, and I couldn't stand still. I removed myself from the situation because I was so upset and shakey, so I went to the chicken pen where my girls are spending their day. I go in, throw a towel down, and just sit and cry.

Now usually when I am this upset my poor dog is in a panic trying to figure out how to help me, and then I feel worse because of what HE goes through. Not these chickens..

They kept about their buisness, pecking at the ground, doing their chicky things while I cried like a baby. They didn't even look at me, and I was pretty worked up. Cluck cluck cluck, the sound actually soothed me, and I finally calmed down enough to pay them some attention. Joon, my BR, jumped on my leg and gave me that chicken sideways look like "what's up mum?" I couldn't help but smile even though I was still crying a little. I stayed out there for about 2 hours, just watching and holding my two girls, both of which put up with my blubbery self.

I feel better now, it's been a bit and me and my mom have lessened the tension somewhat between us. I am just glad I have the girls, who stay totally nonchalant, and I can just freak out and them just roll their eyes and go about their day.

Just had to share.. Not that this matters, but it kept me from doing some dumb stuff that I usually turned to when I have been so upset.

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Chicken therapy is the best!!! [​IMG]

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It really is! I almost came back and apoligized for my post, it sounded crazy after I read it. Hope nobody thinks I am crazy chicken lady lol!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:X2

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    No way are you crazy. I think it was smart. I like to go out to mine when I am upset too. But also when I just want to think and ponder. They bring everything back to normal after awhile.

Sorry about the fight. That happens and I bet your Mom is hurting too. Sometimes Moms make mistakes. Like I tell my kids, " you didn't come with an instruction manual" and I am not perfect.

Hugs to you!

6. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    I also de-stress when I spend time with my chickens. Spending time with them makes me smile every time. Non-chicken lovers just don't get it, but the people here do.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You are not crazy whatsoever. When I am upset, frustrated or having a bad day.....I go outside and hug this:

[​IMG]

Then I play with these:

[​IMG]

And my day is much much better. Chicken hugging and therapy is a miracle medicine, they make life simple again.

where your mom is concerned...try to remember that you only have one and she is probably hurting as much as you were/are, be big enough to say "I'm Sorry" and always be vulnerable enough to say "I Love You". Years from now you will look back on all this and chuckle....promise. Relationships change with time. [​IMG]

8. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Totally get it, but good for you for not doing the dumb stuff. My horse does the same thing for me when I'm too upset to go to the chickens (and the cat, well... She's sweet, but it's always ALL about her. [​IMG] As it should be.) . He always chuckles though. [​IMG] Guess I look funny to him. He goes: "huh huh huh huh huh." It sounds just like he's laughing, I swear! I really should record it...

9. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I am in agreement with you folks. I see people at their worst on a regular basis. I mean junkies, cancer patients, the abused, etc. Then add in some other home based stress and its been a rough few months. BUT the other days the girls were grazing in the yard and my RIR found one of my daughters hair bands in the brush. It was a big fabric coated white one. She thought it was a big worm. Well so did the other 7 hens. They all pursued the RIR as she ran around with a giant bubber band bounceing around her beak. I guess you had to be there.... But I laughed for days about it.

10. PinkieSue

PinkieSue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Land of the Rain, Oregon
    I agree that chickens are great sources of entertainment and grounding during hard times. I have suffered from severe depression since being laid off from my job in December 2009. The addition of my two cochin hens and one pullet have literally saved me. When the weather is good they garden with me. I can go outside and sit and watch them doing their "chicken things" and they always bring a smile to my face and joy to my heart. Maybe if more people used "Chicken Therapy" there would be fewer depressed people in the world.

Moms and be challenging, they can be hard to raise. Hang in there, I am so thankful that my daughter did. She is now 26 and a great young woman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by