1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens Saved My Life

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Well maybe but they definitely saved me money and time from not letting anything else get destroyed. I am down with a torn ACL and Meniscus in my left knee but I managed to get out today to burn trash ( we live in the country ) the burn barrel sits about 30 yards from my house on a fence line. I lit the trash and waddled back inside and sat down, I smelled smoke but didnt think anything about it, I did light trash on fire after all.

So my chickens are free ranging and they are always around my porch because that is where the best treats are, they typically dont make much noise other than a bock bock here and there and the occasional squabble between them. Today was different, they were ALL screaming and running around right outside my door, I heard screams and thumping noises so I got up to investigate, when I opened the door I saw nothing but smoke, the trash fire had caught the fence line on fire, it chased into the neighboring field and right across my dead grass in my yard and my deck was on fire, the deck that hooks to my house with wood siding [​IMG] I got the water hose on and started spraying as I dialed 911 and had the deck fire out before they arrived so they attacked the field fire and wet everything down in case the fire rekindled, I am glad they were so scared because I am on pain meds and been napping ALOT, I am lucky that I heard them. My 4 year old son is with me today too so it would have been so bad had they not protected us the way they did.

Well I thought I would share guys and gals, the fire dept just left and luckily everything is now out, wet but fire free. It burned over an acre of field, the last 4 foot of my deck is ruined, it burned up my lawnmower and lawnmower cart, but we are alive and well [​IMG] I am off to give my chickens unlimited treats for the day so I will talk to you all soon [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Wow what a scare!! Glad to hear everyone is safe!!

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My neighbors did that twice in the last 5 years. Started to burn their trash and walked away from it-----caught their grass on fire and then burned up their chicken coop and killed all their chickens. (really, twice, you can't fix stupid)
    I once had to run out and hose down my fence line from these idiots as the trash fire crossed the pasture 1/4 mile to my place.
    They're gone now----something about a meth bust.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Great story! Another reason to have CHICKENS!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Incredible!

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    What awesome chickens. Yes they need alot of extra treats and lots of extra love. Glad everyone is safe and sound. [​IMG]

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    The weird thing is I have a brick enclosed incinerator with only a 4'x4' mesh door, only thing that could have happened is a coal had to have fallen out the door. We had a bunch of cardboard in there from my sons birthday party yesterday so its possible I guess, I didnt turn the incinerator fan on since it wasnt a bunch of trash, if I power that on it will burn things up so fast the coals dont have a chance to fall out. I even took the extra time to put 2 spark filters in the chimney when I built it so this didnt happen, lesson learned I will stay outside when I burn trash but like I said, 5 years burning in the incinerator with no problems until now.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Sounds like you are just a tad too confident of your fire burn facilities. I burn what I do burn in a barrel. But the difference is I leave the barrel when the fire is done. I'm not that confident I have it under control till it out.[​IMG] I made that mistake once, never to happen again.[​IMG]

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    So glad you, your child, your chickens, and your home are safe! [​IMG]

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Glad you and your son are ok!! Yeah, Chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by