1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens started laying .... I was not ready! :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjb1953, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    So my commets are 4 months old. When I got the chickens I looked up when chickens started laying and found that on average it was 6 months.
    Well we found an egg in the coop this morning!
    I had it in my head they would not start laying until the end of Dec or January .... I feel so unprepared. But we are excited.

How does everyone go about cleaning their eggs?

Thanks

Jen

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the egg! That was a nice surprise, I'm sure. Have you got nest boxes ready for them? Put a golf ball (or something vaguely resembling an egg) in there to show them where you'd like them to lay. Once they start laying regularly they are going to need extra calcium in their feed. You can either switch to layer feed or put out some crushed egg shells/oystershell for them. If you offer them shell, keep it separate from from their feed.

3. GrammyJean

GrammyJean New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    You are lucky to get eggs so early! I actually don't clean my eggs unless they are just horribly covered with poop. If they are slightly dirty or stained, I just wipe them gently with a DRY cloth. If you wash eggs, you remove the protective covering the hen puts on them to keep out bacteria. Best NOT to wash them until just before you crack them for cooking. [​IMG]

4. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Thank you. Yes it was exciting.
    Another egg while we were out today. The coop they are in is an older coop. It does have nesting boxes in them ... but I intending on making them new ones next weekend when we finish up the coop (we are renovating it).
    I do not have any golf balls handy but can pick some up. We also have a ton of plastic eggs. Are they ok to use?

Thanks for the reply re cleaning. I just wiped them with a tissue. Not too dirty.

RE feed. I just picked up a new bag of pullet grower. Is it ok for them to finish this bag as long as I give them shells of some sort?
    Why do you keep the shells separate from the feed?

Thanks

Jen

5. jtakacs

jtakacs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    From everything I read its to make it a choice. Apparently they know... but I just got my girls today.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Congrats on the eggs!

I choose to not clean or refrigerate my eggs. I store the poopy ones separate from the clean ones and clean those before using.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by