My chickens stay in their coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckSong, Jun 21, 2010.

1. CluckSong

CluckSong New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I have four chickens (1 roo, 1 hen and 2 that I'm not sure of yet - although I sure hope their hens - they were all supposed to be). They are 14 weeks old. Two of them hardly ever leave the coop I'm really worried about them. Is that normal? They will come out when I bring a treat, but go right back in afterwards. They do eat and drink and there isn't anything noticeably wrong with them (except one of them seems to keep their tail feathers down alot - reminds me of my dog with his tail between his legs! - this one also seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order). I am new at this, so I don't know what to think. The've been doing this for a couple of weeks now. I'm assuming since they are too young to lay, that they can't be broody. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Hmmm, you don't say where you are located, but maybe it is cooler in the coop than outside? Or maybe they are just more comfortable in the coop.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like normal behavior to me. When they get bigger, they'll be out of the coop most of the time. The one with her tail down is probably at the bottom of the pecking order like you said. Just make sure she's eating and drinking normally and acting like a chicken should...scratching, pecking etc...

4. CluckSong

CluckSong New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I'm in Pennsylvania and it has been warm lately. The coop is pretty nice (my husband insulated it). The run does get shade, but maybe it's just too hot. The other two are out in the morning and evening as well as any time I walk near the run. They will come greet me and follow me around. I guess the difference in behaviors just seems so stark. I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for the help!!

5. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I have to go in my coop in the morning and shew all 31 chickens out of the coop and close the door. They are 16 and 12 weeks old, if I didn't go in and shew them out they would be in there all day waiting for me to put food in the feeder. I want/need them to free range and eat bugs, when its too hot they just bed down in the shade.

6. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    When my girls were new to free ranging I would be outside with them and they would stay out no problem but when I would run inside to get something or do something for a little while they would all go back into the coop until I came back outside again. Now they go out even if I am not out there, but sure love my company when I am outside.....

I think they are just nervous and growing up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by