my chickens still not laying eggs at 32 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smfarman, Jun 24, 2016.

1. smfarman

smfarman Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    North of Tampa, FL
    My Rhode Island Red 32 week old chickens are not laying eggs can someone please help? They are inside and in a large pet crate, have added light to give them 16 hours of light, added DE to their food 2 weeks ago for any worms, they are on layer crumbles and oyster shells.
    [​IMG]
    This picture was taken at night, their combs are good size. but their overall size is smaller than my 22 week old Buff Orpingtons

2. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    Why are you keeping fully grown chickens inside in a pet crate?

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Chickens wont lay eggs if under stress.
    Living inside your house in a dog crate is not natural to a chicken. They need a coop/run in order to live comfortably.
    Your photo looks like the living space is very small.
    Chicken first, pet last.

1 person likes this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Rhode island red are slow to mature, though yours look close to laying. Switching to a layer ration too early can slow down maturity. I always suggest keeping them on a non medicated grower for longer. Chickens continue to grow and fill out for two years. Switching to something with lower protein will slow everything down. I personally no longer use layer. It should be the sole ration fed to laying hens if used, as adding any extras will dilute down the protein in the diet and lead to deficiencies. It's better to just offer oyster shells for the extra calcium.

Your hens might do better with natural lighting, and being outside getting exercise and fresh air. My RIR didn't start laying until almost 7 months.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Your birds need personal space, roosts, and nest boxes.
    They also need to be outside to run around and forage.
    Also, they don't need layer ration yet.
    Let them be chickens and worry about eggs less.

6. smfarman

smfarman Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    North of Tampa, FL
    I am sorry that I forgot to say in my post that my rhode island reds where outside, they have only been inside about three weeks and they are 33weeks today (time since I purchased them). I was told to separate them in case they where hiding their eggs. They have also been treated for worms, lice and mites. I have been reading on this forum that most have been having eggs before 30 weeks, is this wrong? Thank you all for your help, I am new to rising chickens.

7. smfarman

smfarman Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    North of Tampa, FL
    I was told that they maybe hiding their eggs, so I needed to separate them from the other 4 younger chickens. It's only been 3 weeks now. So if there isn't anything wrong with them I will be putting them back with the others.

8. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016

I think that's a good start. I would allow them access to outside and green grass and wait it out.

9. smfarman

smfarman Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    North of Tampa, FL
    Thank you, I guess the waiting is the hard part

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens also need a natural type light to lay. I don't think that the compact fluorescent light bulbs sold to make us feel good will work to stimulate a hen to lay. Chickens see types of light that you and I are unable to see, especially UV light. With the right set up I don't see why a pet carrier won't work for a laying cage but I think that it needs to be much more open, airy, and well lit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by