1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens Stink!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 10 pollos, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 10 pollos

10 pollos Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    I Have 8 Chickens In A 15x10 Coop. They Only Stay In There At Night And During The Day They Run Around In What Was A Small Vegetable Garden About 12x25 They Have Totally Destroyed The Garden There Is Nothing But Dirt.i Feed Them Regular Lay Pellets And Greens. I Clean The Coop About Every Other Day And Clean The Yard About Once A Week. It Rained Here Last Week And Now The Yard Stinks. These Girls Are Poop Machines. They Are Fantastic Chickens I Get An Egg A Day And Sometimes Two From Each Of Them But It Is Starting To Really Stink And Im Afraid My Nieghbors Will Start To Complain. Is There Some Sort Of Soap Or Somethink I Could Hose The Coop Down With That Would Help?

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Tractor Supply has Sweet PDZ. That helps dry the coop & eliminate odors.

3. spammy

spammy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    I use a small exhaust fan in the upper corner of the coop. When I change
    the wood shavings that are used for litter, I remove the old and spinkle a box of baking soda on the bare floor before adding the new shavings.

4. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Baking soda? great idea!

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I scrub all the roost and sometimes the walls with clorox water and dry them. I sprinkle on a bit of Sweet PDZ. That stuff is great. I have like a dropping hammock under the roost with some shavings in it so the poo does not go on the floor. When i feed up of a morning I sprinkle pdz on the last nights poo. No odor. I change it out each wk. Gloria Jean

6. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Ever since I started using the DE it doesn't smell hardly at all. I just sprinkle it around in the coop and in with the pine shavings, the clean up is alot easier too. Now that it's colder I only completely clean the coop once a week, I add more shavings and the DE in the middle of the week.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    poo poo hammock- Thats awesome, I think I will go add that today! What is it made of?

8. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    They are chickens after all and they tend to smell but I did grow up on my grandfathers 30k+ pheasant farm so maybe I'm immune to the smell

9. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    You just need goats! I have my chickens in the 4 acre South West pasture with that goats! I'm telling you I never smell a single chicken ever. I only clean out the chicken coop when I get too much goat poop in there.

Laney
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by