My chickens stopped laying eggs a couple of weeks ago. - Solutions needed-

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChrisBusing, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ChrisBusing

ChrisBusing New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    I have six chickens. I live in the Atlanta area. They are of diverse breeds and i feed them mostly a diverse feed of non-gmo feed and cracked corn in the winter.

They used to lay consistently, about two dozen eggs a week. (six chickens) In the beginning of December they stopped laying completely. And now they are molting. They are losing feathers and in the cold when they should be adding feathers.

What is the problem?

Thanks,

Chris - first time post and patron to BYC.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ChrisBusing [​IMG] Welcome!

Living in Aus, our seasons are pretty much opposite but I do know from reading other posts on BYC that you are definitely not alone.

If you search the Forums you will find multiple posts about chickens not laying at the moment and it is most commonly related to the time of year and fewer daylight hours etc.

You might want to try posting on your local thread where you will probably find many people in a similar situation:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

You may also find some useful information on the current Topic of the Week which is Winter Egg Laying: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1145557/topic-of-the-week-winter-egg-laying

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, Chris and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You have some good advice and great links from Teila that should hopefully answer your questions.

The learning centre is always a good standby resource https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

All the best
    CT

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good information so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thank you for joining us today, please make yourself at home and enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by