My chickens stopped laying....WHY??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HilltopFarm, Jan 7, 2010.

1. HilltopFarm

HilltopFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    Here in NJ, we have had a couple of weeks of cold cold weather. Will the cold completely stop the chickens from laying?

2. joy_disaster

joy_disaster New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have 8 hens and I normally get between 5 and 8 eggs a day- this is day 3 with NO eggs [​IMG] I am a little concerned! I don't know much about it myself, whether they are moulting or responding to the cold. I do have a 60W light on a timer to go on between 5 and 7am, to extend daylight for them a bit.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    2 of mine stopped laying a couple of weeks before they started molting. Then feathers were everywhere.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    It is possible I know my chickens and chukars shut completely down and Im sure its colder where you are than here.

5. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I too think its the cold (either that or its an east coast strike) We have 3 Buff Orps and a Siliver Spangled, and they were all four laying like crazy (they had JUST started) and layed eggs daily for about 2 weeks, the cold hit, and they have stopped COMPLETELY, we havent had an egg from our girls in about 2 weeks. They are fed and watered daily, I have even been feeding them veggies in warm oatmeal. We dont put lights on them to induce laying as we let nature do that. But I do believe the severe cold has them reserving body energy.

6. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    With zero/subzero temps for a couple of weeks, our egg production has dropped as well, so I appreciate the 5-7 hens who are still managing to lay eggs. I too supplement laying mash, calf manna, BOSS with hot oatmeal laced with left overs and veggies each of these cold mornings. We have electric heaters on which we set our two waterers so the girls always have access to water and stay hydrated--as much as they are willing to drink. Btw, when I make their morning oatmeal, I begin with a cup of dry milk powder, and then I mix the oatmeal/veggies into a very soupy consistency, adding to their liquid consumption each morning. I feel this can only be good for them. My silkies have stopped laying, but I"ve read that on again/off again laying is usual for them--I suspect the extreme cold contributes to their stopping. We are keeping a red heat lamp on in the Silkies area, next door to the indoor pen for the standard hens. I hope that increases the warmth generally for that portion of our barn. I'm sure their energy is much better spent keeping safely warm right now than in egg production. Come on, Spring! ~G

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by