1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens taught me something indirectly.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Uzuri, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So I've been paying an awful lot of attention to sunset/sunrise times lately, since I work and I have to be able to plan for those days when I'll be cutting it close getting home to put the chooks to sleep.

But this week I learned something that I'd never thought about before: the earliest sunset of the year is NOT on the shortest day of the year.

Here our earliest sunset actually occurs the 6th through the 10th (obviously one of those days is the absolute earliest, but my resource is only accurate to the minute). The shortest day of the year, of course, is the 21st. And the LATEST sunrises actually run all the way from the 28th to the 12th day of next year [​IMG]

So yeah, my chickens are teaching me things that have nothing whatsoever to do with chickens.

2. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    This is fascinating! I didn't know either, and if asked, I'd have been confident that the 21st marked the day. Lifelong learners...it's fun! ~G

3. Grapefruit Moon

Grapefruit Moon Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Thanks the Chicken Gods! That means it will be lighter after work sooner than later!!! Yippie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by