My chickens wander over to neighbors yard.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicamama, Jun 16, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    They (neighbors) don't seem to mind and they did feed them at one point (my chicky's are little piggies when food is involved). Are you neighbors cool with wondering fowl?

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Mine are A-OK with it. I don't think it's normal though. [​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have chickens myself, but would not be 'cool' with anything of the neighbors (kids, dogs, cats, chickens, goats, etc) wandering over to my yard on a regular basis.

If their kid/pet/dog/chicken gets out once in a while, that's one thing, but on a daily basis it would ruin my relationship with my neighbors.

Good fences do make good neighbors, and there is a very good one around my yard to keep my animals out of the neighbor's yard, and the annoyance factor of my animals down to a minimum.

4. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Quote:I wonder why they do it? better bugs?

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mine are "Bird People". They have a few parrots and feed the wild birds. They love my chickens. I actually got the roosters because of neighbor Bob. He had been waiting for one of them to crow. He's got 3 of them to hear now!!

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I wonder why they do it? better bugs?

Compost pile turning and natural fertilizer. Her compost pile is turned very well, and pooped in, daily.

7. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    My neighbors like my guineas a lot. The man across the street has let my mother guinea hatch 25 babies in his front yard and wouldn't let me move them. He says they are great tick eaters (which they are) and he really likes them. He has run off stray dogs, foxes, etc. so she could sit on her eggs. I really hate to bother my neighbors with my animals and try to keep them penned up, but he became her protector. After hatch, I moved them. I guess it just depends on your neighbors.[​IMG]

8. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Yes, it really does depend on the neigbors for sure. They have a small toddler who just goes nuts when he sees them pecking around their garden for bugs. Plus, my chickens are nosy ladies!

9. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    My neighbors think it's cool to have chickens pecking around. They even asked if I would let my sheep graze in their unused paddock so they wouldn't have to mow it. And they are my best egg customers!

10. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Since we've got snakes around, my neighbors are fine with my guineas patrolling their back yard, but that only happens when the guineas get out of their regular pen. They (the neighbors) also like to "moo" at my cows to see if they can get them (the cows) to talk back to them. [​IMG] I hear more mooing out of the neighbors than I do the cows most times!!

Stacy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by