1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens want to come in the house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dalasgalas, Nov 3, 2015.

1. dalasgalas

dalasgalas New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    I'm new to backyard chickens. I have one buff rooster and two Easter eggers. They have the entire back at their disposal and their coop and run are at the far end of the yard under the pecan tree.

They insist on sleeping next to the back door on the patio on top of each other every night. I feed them in their chicken house to keep the feed dry. Is this normal behavior? They hang around the back door like dogs waiting to come inside. The family has been trying to convince me to install a chicken door, but I don't think I'm that far gone yet.

Do I need to be concerned that they don't go in their chicken coop at night? My area is safe, so I'm not concerned with their general safety, just with their happiness. They are about 5 months old and I just started them on layer feed.

thanks!

~bonnie

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I would lock them in their predator proof (!!!) coop and run for a week or so at least, to get them committed to home, before winter, or something bad happens to them at night. They are totally vulnerable at night, and I can't imagine a location that doesn't have evening visitors. Then don't offer food, treats, anything, except in their run. Goodies by the back door just can't happen. Mary

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I still have to walk my hen back to her coop. She'd stay on the porch if I'd let her. Even though you don't see predictors, I'll guarantee they are there. In my friends neighborhood, he never seen them neither until we were out one night around two in the morning and we seen a possum on his roof.

5. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    I have two hens that come in the house for a visit occasionally. They see what's good to eat in the cat's dish, drink the cat's milk, go on the cat's blanket, walk around a bit. When they start to jump on my kitchen countertops the visit is over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by