1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens want to roost on the ground!!!???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmazingGrace, Jun 8, 2011.

1. AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I got these adorable chicks at Easter, we didn't have a coop built yet so they stayed in a large kennel until we got one built this week. I think that makes them about 8 weeks old. We made this great little coop for them but at sunset they huddled in a corner instead of going up the ramp to their hutch. I went in and put them in the hutch, but shouldn't they do that on their own?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    You have to teach your birds where to sleep. If they have never been in a coop, then they would have no idea that is where they are to sleep.
    You just need to get them into a patterned routine. Took mine 2-3 days to catch on and now they go up into the coop about the same time every night, so all i have to do is close the door to tuck them in for the evening.
    When you want them to go to bed, pick them up and show them the ramp and their nesting area, then lock them in there for the night. In the morning let them out. Just do this routine for a few days, and soon they will learn.
    Many people will transition the birds by keeping them locked in the new coop for a day or two so they learn, and then let them have the free range. Either way..... just get a routine going and they will follow [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Mine are still learning, they are 10 weeks and have been in the coop for 2 weeks. 5 of the 7 now put themselves to bed, but one Delaware and one GSexlink still hide in the corner on the ground. Every night I go put them in the coop. Once on the roost, they stay there. [​IMG]

4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Perfectly normal. Put them up manually for about a week or 2. They will figure it out. They are just use to sleeping together in a pile. Once they figure it out, get comfortable all will be well, you'll see. First night my chickens went up the A frame by themselves I [​IMG].

Ohh... [​IMG] from Elverta, CA

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. bsoergel

bsoergel New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi. Mine are about 8 wks old. They have been in the coop for 2 plus weeks maybe 3. Every night they pile in the corner. It is right at the door -- so I squeeze in and pick some up and put them on their roosts. They don't stay. I have 26 so I can't get them all up there at once. I don't know if I should care that they are on the ground i just wish they were not at the door. No one has been smothered and that was my first fear. Any tips please?
    Thanks
    Beth

6. Cockadoodle Lu

Cockadoodle Lu New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    Mine sleep in a pile too! They're 16 weeks old, and every night without fail, they pile up on top of each other in the nesting boxes, despite the temperature being plenty warm enough. We made an adjustment to the roosts to give them more space (it was probably too close to the wall of the coop) and since then I've seen 2 hens on the roost when I open up in the morning, the other 3 still pile up. I'm hoping it will just take a little more time for the others to join on the roosts. They're not laying yet. Should we be concerned about them sleeping in the nesting boxes?

7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:you don't want them to get use to sleeping the the nesting box...otherwise they will never use it for the right thing. I put a board in front of my nesting boxes, so they could not go in them to sleep and poop. Then once i see that they are getting close to laying age, you can remove the board and show the Hens where to lay.

best wishes,
    laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by