My chickens went crazy tonight!

Wolfpacker

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Raleigh
About dusk I heard a great deal of LOUD cackling in the backyard. I've never heard anything quite like it since I've kept chickens. I went outside and found two of my girls in the run and three free-ranging. I assumed the girls in the run were upset as they were making all the racket.

I led the three into the run and closed the door, thinking they would soon go into the coop and bed. But instead, they ran frantically, almost manically around and kept up a big fuss. A couple tried to fly off the highest roost through the top of the run. One paced back and forth and back and forth in a corner of the run trying to get out.

With all this activity, the motion light came on and stayed on and the girls just kept it up. I finally went outside and caught them all and put them in their coop and closed the door.

Do they know something I don't? Could a predator be lurking? Could they be starting to feel the urge to lay? I've never heard anything quite like it. Anyone else have these late evening rants?

Last edited:
Once they were in the run, I turned our dog out and he ran around like usual and didn't act like anything was going on. I looked around too.

I thought about that and looked around and didn't see anything. There is one place I didn't look. Mmmmm. Could be. Maybe that's why they're 21 weeks old and I haven't found any eggs yet!
wink.png

Last edited:
well, i don't know about predators, but today my 4 girls were putting up a freakin' rucus. i went and checked on them a few times ~ same as you. walked around looking for activity outside the run, brought the dog with me ... nothing.

but then i found my first 2 eggs!

wasn't expecting for a few more weeks!
i'm so excited!

Could be that one or more of them layed an egg, outside the run.....the others were trying to " tell the world" Maybe tomorrow you will find a nice little egg....under a bush...in the corner...just watch them, see where they go! Good luck, hope its laying time!!!

It does sound like they were afraid of something. There could have been a snake or rat in the coop or run somewhere - under hay or nest box? I spend a lot of time watching my chickens and while they certainly bonk and honk and even do the "hen crow" when they are laying an egg - they NEVER run frantically and manically around and try to fly through the roof or over the top of the run. Plus, at dusk, they are very docile and usually just eating their late evening meal or grooming themselves before they go in their coop. It's a very peaceful time and I usually sit out there till dark watching them with their evening ritual and waiting for them to all go in coop so I can close the gate to the run. Those girls were terrified of something. I'm praying you didn't lock them in with it.

Back
Top Bottom