My chickens were defended by unlikely heroes...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PrairieChickens, Nov 5, 2013.

1. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    So I have a story. It's not a serious story, but it's amusing, and I thought my fellow chicken keepers could appreciate it.

Pecans are dropping here in Kansas, and their presence has attracted a bunch of critters to our yard. Squirrels, of course, but also... crows. Now, I was none too pleased about these feathered interlopers cutting in on my nut harvest, so I spent several days trying in vain to discourage them from hanging out in our pecan trees.

Then one day, my mother reported that while the chickens were out free ranging, a hawk came callin'. Before she could rush to their rescue, the hawk was chased off by... The Crows!

I have gone from yelling "Hey you crows! Stop eating my pecans!" to "Hey, take all you want!"

1 person likes this.
  2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    YES! I LOVE crows! After I figure out that the big bird flying into my yard is a crow and not a hawk, I calm my heart and am happy. :)

3. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    I have a crow story, as well. This summer I had taken my black Serama cockerel down to the beach for the day, and I scooped him up to take him to the car at the end of the day. This being the PNW, was infested with crows. Suddenly I heard panicked cawing, and saw the crows hopping from tree to tree. They apparently thought I had kidnapped one of their relatives! I'm glad they didn't launch a rescue mission. :lau
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Roosternapped?

1 person likes this.
  4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Oh my gawsh, that's hilarious. I can see them now.
    "Let him go! He's just a baby!"

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] That's a cute story! I have heard that crows are a chickens best friend! I guess you found that out, huh? Enjoy them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by