My chickens were eating my chicken!!

mollybee1979

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Spring Hill Florida
Yesterday, I found my Light Brahma with a sliver dollar sized hole in the back of her neck (and blood). I got her out of the coop but on the way by the other chickens (I have four total) they all took a bite. That part traumatized me. I separated her from the flock and she's now in a dog crate on my back porch (I live in Florida). I didn't put anything on the wound, just left her alone. I did consider cutting her down but I feel like I want to give her a shot. So I have a few questions about this whole ordeal. 1) I can't find if she injured herself somewhere and they just went into a bleeding frenzy and made whatever possible injury much worse. My question here is would they just randomly peck giant holes into each other. 2) there is a very pleasant sweet smell coming from her wound, almost floral like. I'm a nurse and I've seen tons of wounds, they do not smell nice. It's weird does anyone know anything about that? 3) Once she is healed and I put her back will they do this again? I guess my question here is does this happen often? I LOVE my chickens but I also realize they are chickens so ya know. . Like could something be wrong with her and the other chickens can tell so they just attack her? Does that happen with chickens, I know it happens with other wild life. I got chick starter feed to mix with her pellets because it's medicated. No one around here has very good advice about how to treat this wound It looks pretty good, like some granulation closing up the wound and she seems to be pretty perky and ok otherwise. Any other examples or information about this kind of thing would really help.

Yesterday, I found my Light Brahma with a sliver dollar sized hole in the back of her neck (and blood). I got her out of the coop but on the way by the other chickens (I have four total) they all took a bite. That part traumatized me. I separated her from the flock and she's now in a dog crate on my back porch (I live in Florida). I didn't put anything on the wound, just left her alone. I did consider cutting her down but I feel like I want to give her a shot. So I have a few questions about this whole ordeal. 1) I can't find if she injured herself somewhere and they just went into a bleeding frenzy and made whatever possible injury much worse. My question here is would they just randomly peck giant holes into each other. 2) there is a very pleasant sweet smell coming from her wound, almost floral like. I'm a nurse and I've seen tons of wounds, they do not smell nice. It's weird does anyone know anything about that? 3) Once she is healed and I put her back will they do this again? I guess my question here is does this happen often? I LOVE my chickens but I also realize they are chickens so ya know. . Like could something be wrong with her and the other chickens can tell so they just attack her? Does that happen with chickens, I know it happens with other wild life. I got chick starter feed to mix with her pellets because it's medicated. No one around here has very good advice about how to treat this wound It looks pretty good, like some granulation closing up the wound and she seems to be pretty perky and ok otherwise. Any other examples or information about this kind of thing would really help.

Yes, chickens will attack one another. Once the blood is drawn, all the chickens will go for that. They LOVE blood. Idk if they will attack her again. Wash all the blood off her, clean wounds with peroxide and apply triple antibiotic. Give her time to heal/scab over. Spray her with blu-kote to camouflage the wound before putting her back with others. If they do that to her again, someone's got to go. Either her or the aggressive who starts it. Best of luck to you and the girl.
smile.png

ETA: I didn't see post #3 maybe she did get injured some other way, not by flock attack but, everything else I mentioned still goes. Good luck!

Last edited:
No, I had just checked the nesting box and she was in there so I was letting her do her thing and my husband came home. We sat outside on the porch and didn't see any thing bothering the coop.

Back
Top Bottom