My chickens were flipping out!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chcknrs, Jun 11, 2008.

1. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    So I went out to see what the ruckus was about....and spotted a huge bird flying overhead....thought it was that darn hawk again, so I started for the .22....then I got a good side view, saw this crooked neck.

[​IMG]

My chickens are terrified of pelicans!!!!!

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    That's too funny!

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    That is of funny.
    But chickens dont know from pelicans - they only perceive an aerial threat. They have eons of attack from above to condidtion this response.

4. chcknrs

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I think the pelican was gettting a kick out of it. It kept flying over and back for about half an hour, and we are about 5 miles from the river!

5. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Is there a fish pond in your, or your neighbors yard? Maybe he just wasn't buzzing the chickens for laughs, but actually saw a meal nearby...

Aerial threats do seem to get chickens excited. My cat jumps on the roof of the run from time to time. It's clear plastic, so they can see it. Now that gets them excited![​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Search YouTube for the video of a pelican eating a seagull (or was it a duck?!). The bird escapes the pelican's beak after quite the fight, so it isn't as disturbing as you might think. I don't think they'd be against scooping up a chick.

Chickens are known to make their short "Awk!" call at things as small as a butterfly. (I like to think they're saying "Hawk!").

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Yeah my son got a kick out of waving his hand over the brooder and making the chick go nuts. Well, until I caught him doing it and he got an ear full from me. [​IMG]

8. chcknrs

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Okay, there is a VERY small pond on our property, but it's seasonal, no fish. There are frogs tho. But I am at least 5 miles from a river, and at 2500 feet elevation, up in the hills. Now with the you tube video, I gotta worry about Pelicans?!!! Gonna have to keep the .22 close at hand....

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    With chickens you gotta worry about everything! All Gods creatures want a chicken dinner.

I remember when I lived in Key West what thieveing rascals pelicans were. They would show up and try to steal/eat anything that wasn't nailed down. I've had them fly off with fishing tackle, shoes and even the caught fish out of my own bucket.

Dont give me any of the tree huggy crap, no sir - it's every critter for himself in the real world! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  10. chcknrs

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    [​IMG]
    That durn pelican doesn't have any business being this far away from water, so he'd better watch out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by