My chickens werid eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Lover 1, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Hey everyone. My chicken has swollen eye lids with foul smelling dirt and brown yellow stuff building up under them. I am cleaning it out everyday but it does not seem to get better. Does anyone know what this could be and how to treat? Thanks!!!!!!!![​IMG]

Does any one want me to post pics?????????

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Chicken Lover 1

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Please somebody!!!!!!![​IMG]What you like me to post pics??????

3. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't know...... definatly sounds like an infection. Can you get some antibiotic eye drops? I wish someone with chicken experience would speak up!!!!

4. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I would try posting it again with a different title. Put maybe "Help! chick with infected eyes"? or something....might get more attention/responses.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    For the moment, do you have some Apple Cider Vinegar - ACV - Dr. Braggs is what you'll want. Put some on a cotton ball and wipe her eyes. It will sting - but that's life. This will help to clear it up for the moment. However, read this thread for the cure: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627714/what-happened-to-my-chicks-eye-pics You'll need to make the decision which way you want to go.

6. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    What about VetRx?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont recommend ACV in the eye. Terramycin eye ointment or neosporin if it's an eye infection. It could also be a respiratory disease. If there's a foul odor about the head area, it's coryza. Could possibly be MG as well, but I'd go with coryza first and that's what it sounds like. Here's a link: Scroll down to Infectious Coryza. Good luck.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hey Dawg.. acv in the eye is not a prob... I use it on myself for conjunctivitis. It helps to kill the bacteria and temporarily clear up the gunk and stops any itching.

9. chicken hoarder

chicken hoarder New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    I had a baby chick with a bad eye....gray, then yellow pus, swollen shut, I took a swab wet with animal ophthalmic gel and cleaned it every day. After about 3days the infection came out all at once....it was almost as big as a grain of corn....of course it wasn't corn, that is the size. The next day it was a lot better and after a week the infection was gone...the eye looked weird for a couple of weeks and now it is normal. The gel is made by Vetericyn, you can find it at TSC.

10. Chicken Lover 1

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Thank you so much[​IMG][​IMG]. I will try some of your ideas. I also might post pics. Does anyone want me to????[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by