My chickens whole head was shredded, skull is showing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roselle, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Roselle

Roselle Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2017
    Our young chicken went missing yesterday and today we found it in our garage, it's skin from the comb to a little bit above the neck is missing (the chickens comb isn't fully grown yet, it's like a stub) we do not know what happened but I need to know how to treat this ASAP. I do not have money to take it to the vet myself and my mom doesn't want to take it to the vet either way. Please help! Also there is a little dent in the skull but I'm not sure if it's a crack or just part of the skull?

Fanci Feathers Marans likes this.
  2. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Obsessed

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    Post photos. I would say a predator grabbed her comb and pulled it off.

Roselle and KikisGirls like this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Please read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.
    Picture would be great.

You are going to want to clean it and apply some Neosporin without pain reliever or pick up some Veterycin spray.

Keep her a way from any other chickens til it heals. They would probably peck at it and make it worse.

Roselle likes this.
  4. Roselle

Roselle Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2017
    IMG_0594.JPG
    picture of my chickens head

Attached Files:

5. Fanci Feathers Marans

Fanci Feathers Marans Chicken Obsessed

Jun 26, 2017
    Missouri
    My Coop
    She'll live as long as it doesn't get infected. The fact that there aren't any feathers around it is a little suspicious, though. I still think it is an animal bite. Do as kikisgirls said and get it bandaged up.

Roselle likes this.
  6. Roselle

Roselle Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2017
    Thank you so much!

7. chickenmom57

chickenmom57 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2017
    My rooster attacked my silkie and did the same thing to it. Skin was peeled back and skull was showing. I cleaned it with sterile water and applied Neosporin ointment. It did heal but it took about two weeks.

Roselle likes this.
  8. Roselle

Roselle Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2017
    Thank you again but I believe the wound has started to bleed again, what do I do?

9. Mylied

Mylied Overrun With Chickens

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Corn starch stops bleeding if you don't have the medical powder.

Roselle likes this.
  10. Crazy QuailLady

Crazy QuailLady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Southwest Ohio
    Two of my coturnix quail had this exact same wound (at different times) - and they were in a cage with other quail they hatched with. I cleaned the wound, dried it with sterile gauze, and then put them in a cage by themselves, with a heat source on one end of the cage. They were old enough to be laying eggs and hadn't needed additional heat for over a month at the time, but wounds like this can cause shock and keeping them warm helps them to recover faster. I kept an eye on the wounds, and made sure they had food and water available at all times in containers they wouldn't bump their heads on. Within a week, it was completely scabbed over and within about 2 weeks, it was healed. Their injuries happened back in March and April, and they're just now starting to get feathers on the scarred area.

Both of my injured birds were hens at the lower end of the pecking order, and I don't know for certain what the cause was, but when I found them, their food and water had been dumped out and the water fountain was bone dry. I've heard that quail will attack each other for the liquid from their blood if their water is dry for too long - I don't know if that's true or not. I also don't know if their water got dumped out during whatever caused their injury or if it went dry and got knocked over later. I also don't know if that happens with chickens or not, but I do know that both my bantams and my quail can draw blood on me if I'm too slow reaching in to fill their food and water containers.

Roselle likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by