My chickens wont eat eggshell??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Shiyanne, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Shiyanne

Shiyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Is that even normal? Ive tried broken in lil pieces and crushed to almost nothing... They peck it and spit it out... 5 hours later its still in chicken run.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How old are your chickens?

3. redsix

redsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Virginia
    If you really want them to eat egg shells, try mixing them in their food. I was always afraid to feed them egg shells for fear of getting them started eating eggs. I use crushed oyster shells.

4. dogkahuna

dogkahuna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Southworth, WA
    I don't like wasting calcium, so I save and crush all the shells we accumulate and add them to leftovers from our fridge--our food is as irresistible to our chickens as it is to our dogs! We pulverize the shells into tiny bits so as not to encourage egg-pecking.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    egg shell use for calcium will not cause egg eating, the form is so changed that there is no association between the shell pieces and the eggs in the nest box

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Calcium is taken in on an "as needed" basis - whether in egg shell, oyster shell, or other form (sidenote - it has been shown that the absorpable calcium in egg shell is considerably lower than that of oyster shell) -- meaning it may be days between intakes by any given bird or a bird may take in calcium daily. I find it easier to put my calcium supplement of choice (I use oyster shell with egg shell mixed in as I have it) in a container/feeder near the feed/water station (also a separate grit container) so that it is protected from the elements and readily available to the birds so that they can have it whenever they need/want.

7. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida

8 months to a year

8. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Ok. Bc i have read on here that some chickens eat thier own eggs to people throwing eggs in and chickens gobble em up to crush them... So altho i dont want them to eat their own eggs, i do want them to b healthy... So was just wondering if they were as wierd as me or just mutated aliens or ??? Lol. So i tried putting with their food all crushed up but they ate everything except eggs lol.. Sooo ill try to crush it to dust or break down and buy oyster shell...

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That should be fine. Sometimes chickens just don't want them, though. Don't worry about it.

10. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Ok thank u guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by