1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY chickens won't eat the storebought oystershell!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by missychicky, Oct 30, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Ok so I am having real troubles trying to get my girls to eat the regular storebought oysteshell. The only forms of calcium they will eat are eggshells and milk![​IMG] It's getting to the point thier eggs are so fragile you can break while washing them. What do I do?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just started mixing oystershell in with the feed. WOW! They eat it!!!!! BIG difference in the consumption.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Was gonna say the same thing. Last time I had problems I mixed into the feed. They don't waste it and they eat it all up. [​IMG]

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yes, mix it in their feed and you may want to put a little by their water. For some reason mine eat it more when they have water beside it.
    You also can try yogurt and cottage cheese. I know they have calcium in them and my chickens love them both.

Oh and at your feed store, you may want to look for the Flock Block. Its a big block of oyster shells, BOSS, and more good stuff. My chickens love it. They peck at it all day.

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    my chickens do not touch the oyster shells or grit containers. i sprinkle a tad into their food so they will get some.

6. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    We've been grinding up the leftover egg shells and feeding that back to them. We just dry them in the over and crush them to about the size of salt granules.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by