My Chickens Won't Eat Weeds Or Worms

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Melovechickens, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Melovechickens

Melovechickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    I have no idea what to do to make them eat the weeds in my yard or the worms!!! They are being very picky. I am trying to give them Henbit, but it isn't working. They peck at it and then stare at me. Same thing with the worms. I really want them to weed my garden so I don't have to. I also don't want to spray weed killer everywhere. How do I get them to like it????[​IMG]

2. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    First how old are they and some weeds they don't like.

3. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    One of my chickens is 1 year and a half. The other two in her small flock passed away. I got 2 new ones that are around 9 months. The one from the previous flock (1 year and a half chicken) used to eat worms until her sisters passed away. : (

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Mine don't eat worms either but LOVE mealworms [​IMG] They know what they like, that's for sure, prefer my plants to weeds [​IMG] Never had this 'issue' with my past chickens. Got these when they were 6 - 7 months, they were outside so assume they know worms [​IMG] but guess they're not 'stupid' and wait for the GOOD STUFF, ha ha

5. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Chickens are so weird! My chickens have zero interest in dried meal worms, but will fight to the death over a live earthworm. They also rush the door to the run for a chance to get to the grass and snag a bit even thought they get fresh greens almost daily!

6. Hay Belly

Hay Belly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Why would you want your chickens to eat earthworms? I assume that's what you meant. Earthworms are very beneficial to your garden and have parasites that harm chickens.

7. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Hay - I had no idea that earth worms could pose a threat to chickens. In the occasion that I find one under a rock I always toss it into my run and they play tug o' war with it. No ill effects thus far, thankfully.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI

WOW, that's news to me, was not aware earthworms have parasites that harm chickens. I've got those but also those skinny, red ones that I find in decomposing piles of grass, shavings, kitchen toss outs.

9. LovelyChicks130

LovelyChicks130 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    Wow. Mine eat at everything. Can't have hostas at all! And mine even eat mice. I guess mine do eat some of the weeds, but they need to eat more. They could never eat enough of them at my house.

10. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    Mine LOVE mealworms. They will stand under me and peck the bag and run like an animal is about to eat them when I throw the mealworms. They just don't like the weeds. I really want them to eat the weeds that they can eat so I don't have to spray weed killer. I didn't know that worms can be harmful to chickens. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by