my chickens wont go out in the snow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by soccerstar259, Dec 4, 2010.

1. soccerstar259

soccerstar259 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    hi i was going to let out my chickens today and we had gotten some snow and they wont go outside

does anyone know what is wrong

2. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    I hear that chickens are snow blind. Shovel off an area where they can see the ground and that should help.

3. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    lol I have no idea. Maybe it's just too cold so they don't want to come out? Or maybe they could use a little encouragement such as some treats?

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We had that problem the first time ours saw snow. I think they were just afraid, because everything looked different. They eventually ventured out, but they didn't seem too impressed.

5. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We've had snow on the ground for three weeks now. They went out for the first time today. But not far. I threw some straw down outsdie their run and that seemed to help.

6. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    My chickens have no choice to go out in snow...we have it all year long in places. Just toss them out and let them see it wont hurt them, depending on if you heat your coop it might be a huge differance in temps so they would rather stay warm [​IMG] Mine will go out even at -45F if I let them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by