My chickens won't lay in nesting box!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenfun123, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chickenfun123

chickenfun123 Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    My chickens won't lay in the nesting box. They did before, back when only 2 were laying. But now about all 5 are laying and only 1 egg is ever in the nesting box. And I only find them after they layed and egg. Then I put them in the box. But I feel like it dossnt help. Any tips? There new layers!!!

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    How many nesting boxes do you have, and how many chickens?

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickenfun123, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us but sorry your hens are not using the nest boxes. Are you finding the eggs inside or outside the coop? Are the boxes low to the ground and cozy within the coop? Chickens will lay where they feel it is safest to do so. Here are some old BYC threads you can peruse - perhaps an old post will yield some helpful information.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=won't+use+nest+boxes
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

4. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    good idea- I was thinking that chickenfun123 might need to use a fake egg or add another nesting box.

5. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Also, your nesting box may be too small for them to comfortably to lay an egg when there is already an egg in there. The optimal size is 1' by 1'.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You need to lock them in where the nesting boxes are. Either until they've laid each day before letting them free. Or for several days until all are laying in the boxes. It is a common issue.

I have 10 boxes for 32 girls and still 3 go unused.

One way to tell when they are getting ready to lay that day is by the squawking or preaching that goes on before they head off to their spot.

To this day I have 2 girls that refuse to lay in the boxes. Both are EE. [​IMG]

7. chickenfun123

Mar 13, 2017
    I have 5 chickens one nest

8. chickenfun123

Mar 13, 2017
    wow I think I might try that. One of mine is an EE to. Good thing her blue eggs stick out

9. chickenfun123

Mar 13, 2017
    they fit perfectly in the nesting box. It's on the second story of there coop. They did use it for a good 2 weeks. But now they stops. I get so upset when I don't get eggs :\

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Unsure but it might be that their coop is higher than they want to have their eggs??? I know that nesting boxes should be lower than the roosts to discourage roosting (and pooping) in the nesting boxes at night....but I'm unsure what having the nesting boxes on the second floor might mean for laying. Hopefully others will have an opinion of what's going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by