My chickens won't leave the coop!

PugAndChickMomma

Chirping
Aug 28, 2019
WA
I am new to chicken keeping. I have 5, all around 16 weeks old. They have been in their coop/enclosure for 8 weeks. Is it normal that they spend almost all day in the coop? They do come out to eat and drink, but go right back in when they are done. They only seem to stay outside the coop if I am in the enclosure with them. We are near Seattle, so it is chilly, but not cold, their outdoor run is completely covered to keep out the rain, they have a roosting bar outside, a swing, logs, half straw and half sand run. Are they just cold maybe? The inside of the coop gets yucky quickly because they are in there all the time. I would love for them to spend more time outside. Any thoughts or advice? Here is a pic of one of the girls, because she is so pretty. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_092343_414.jpg
    IMG_20191212_092343_414.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 18
So during the 8 weeks they've only wanted to stay in the coop?

Is there anything outside that might be upsetting them, such as a neighbor's barking dog or wildlife walking by?

Normally I wouldn't advocate locking them out but since the run is covered so rain isn't an issue, you might want to close up the pop door one day when you're at home to keep an eye on things, and see what they do.

Back
Top Bottom