My chickens won't play nice!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Grammypammy, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Grammypammy

Grammypammy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    I need help from everyone. My Rhode Island reds won't allow the three Americaunas into the henhouse. They let after a few days the Wyandottes in this spring- but there were 5 of them. There are 3 Americaunas, 5 days now. The poor little things won't get down off the roosts- they are too afraid, they won't go out into the pen- they get bitten. So yesterday I put them outside for the day in the yards. My huband had been taking greens up to them the day before because we aren't sure they are even eating and drinking. USEFUL advise?

2. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    Are these chickens all the same age? If the RIRs are younger and smaller, you might want to make them a separate pen to be in for a little while, while all the chickens get accustomed to each other.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What ages of birds are we talking about, and how much space do you have?

4. Grammypammy

Apr 24, 2013
    THE RIR ARE ABOUT 16 MONTHS THE OTHERS ARE ABOUT 4 MONTHS.

5. Grammypammy

Apr 24, 2013
    RIR ARE ABOUT 16 MONTHS ALL OTHERS ARE 4 MONTHS

6. Grammypammy

Apr 24, 2013
    MY HENHOUSE IS 6 X 10 WITH 3 ROOSTS AND 5 BOXES. 4 RIR, 2 SILKIES ALSO 16 MONTHS. THEY DON'T FIGHT. AND NOW ADDED A MONTH AGO 4 WYANDOTTES, (3 OF WHICH ARE MALES AND ON A LIMITED LIFESPAN), AND THE THREE NEW ONES. PLAN IS TO ONLY HAVE 1 MALE ORPHINGTON AND POSSIBLE ONE PHOENIX IF THEY ARE OK WITH EACH OTHER. PLAN ON ADDING 2 ORPHINGTONS, TWO PHOENIX AND 2 SPECKLED SUSSEX FOR THE WINTER, ALSO DEBATING ON PUTTING MY BANTAMS IN A "HOOP HOUSE" ( GREENHOUSE) FOR THE WINTER AND LETTING THEM WORK ON A PILE OF COMPOST AND BUG CONTROL WITH THE PLANTS. WE LIVE IN PA AND WANT EVERYONE WARM ENOUGH, WE HAVE A RED HEAT LIGHT IN THE HENHOUSE IN THE WINTER FOR INTERMITTEN HEATING, AND THERE ARE TWO WINDOWS TO LET THE LIGHT AND SUNSHINE HEAT IN DURING THE DAY HOURS. THEY DID GREATLAST WINTER.

7. Mathew544

Mathew544 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    RIR are known to be a more aggressive breed and since they are so much older, and your other birds are only 16 weeks old I would use some type of fencing to separate them in the same space. This way they can get used to each other but still have access to food and water separately. Then I would gradually make an opening so they can run in and out. Otherwise you might have to pinpoint who exactly is the bully and get rid of it . It can take a while to develop a pecking order though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by