My chickens won't quit flying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marisa, Nov 20, 2007.

1. marisa

marisa New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    I have a 6 foot fence around my chickens, we have clipped their wings, and moved everything they could hop up onto to get closer to the height of the fence. None of it is working, they still seem to find a way to fly to the top of the fence. Is there anything else I can do? They are wandering the neighborhood and digging holes in flowerbeds. I think we are going to have to get rid of them if they won't stay in their area! I really don't want to have to get rid of them!!!

Thanks for your help!
    ~marisa

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Can you put up some poultry netting over the top of the run? That would keep them in. They will need to have some kind of cover or they will fly over. I gave up trying to keep mine in and just let them free range now. Hopefully, my dh will come up with a way to cover the entire run before winter sets in [​IMG]

3. marisa

marisa New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    We have thought of that, but my husband just built a chicken coop for the winter. He is starting to think that these chickens aren't worth the trouble. So, I was hoping there was an easier solution. He thought we could put weights on their legs. But, I haven't ever heard of that or seen where you could buy some. Someone also suggested putting a really low wattage electrical wire on the fence. I can't find a low enough wattage for chickens.

We let the chickens roam around our backyard, but they still like to go roam in the front yard too, so they hop the fence.

Thanks for your suggestion.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You only clipped one wing right?

Also, if they are young, they still are light and can fly up there. Might have to keep them cooped up.

Oh, once I got dramatic with a flyer that kept getting in the garden, and I literally clipped the feathers down on one wing to the shape of her wing. Make sure you don't get pinfeathers though.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    they need to be able to get away from predators so I hesitate to suggest any weights or clipping of wings?? depends on what kind of predators you have where you live? Weights really sound like a bad idea, sorry.

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    How big is your run? Nevermind just noticed the fence is around the yard?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  7. marisa

marisa New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    The fence is around the yard, but we are only on about .18 acre. We have a pretty good size backyard (for our area) because the house sits closer to the street. Their little chicken run (dog run) is about 6 feet wide, by about 20 feet long. I close the fence off to that area at night to protect them. We have a dog that protects them from any predators during the day.

We are in the city in Salt Lake city, there aren't many predators around here.

8. marisa

marisa New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm new to the whole chicken thing. Why would I only clip one wing?

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh, there are lots of predators in Salt Lake. Mountian Lions come down sometimes, Hawks, and what was it that was getting all those cats a few years back. Everybody thought it was some devil worshiping ritual killing cats. It was just some predator. (I lived in Utah county for 20 years)

Anyway, just throw something over the top of the dog run. Could be a tarp for that matter. Just put a pole up in the middle higher than the fence, so the snow and rain run off.

It's never a waste to raise your own food. It's always worth the effort.

Only clip one wing so they are off balance, if you clip both, they can make it work.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Because if you cut two, they are balanced again and it is almost like you didn't cut it at all. That's why they are still flying, they just have to flap harder. With one wing clipped, they fly in circles.

As for predators, some city preds are the worst... ferals and coons not afraid of humans. I would wire up your chain link coop with smaller wire at the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by