My chickens won't roost? :::Update! Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::::

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jay13, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    Well after the december disaster with my dogs getting in and killing all 21 of our chickens, we put up new fence and ran hot lines top and bottom and got new chickens the other night. The problem I am having is they refuse to use the roosts I made!

Are chickens picky about what they want to roost on? I just have some 2x4s set up on a stand but they refuse to go up there. Instead they all pile together by the feeder and I lost one of the girls last night. :::sighs:::: I un-piled them and put them in what will be the nesting boxes but not sure if that is a good idea for the long term. Could they be cold and that is why? We got then locally, and they are 14-16weeks now I think.

Thanks for all the help, I guess I still have a lot to learn.

Jay

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    i know that my hens did not roost for a while. it took quite a few weeks and then BAM it just started happeneing. my roost is also just a 2x4. seems to work, no probs so far.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    chances are they just haven't learned. Go out there after dark (with a headlamp, or a flashlight in your teeth, or whatever) and pick the chickens up and put them onto the roost. THey'll stay there, and after a day or week of waking up in the morning on the roost, they will start putting themselves to bed there in the evening [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i agree, i've put many a chicken on the roost at night, they learn quick:rolleyes:

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They don't have a mother hen to teach them what to do so you are now their Momma.

You will have to go out and put them on the roost every evening until they get the idea.

6. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I thought roosting was a natural instinct. Supplied small branches for mine, they roosted on them (low to ground) at less than 2 weeks of age.

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    In my opinion they are still terrified after dogs attack.
    Chicken can remember bad things happening for quiet some time.

Roosting is a natural instinct, give your hatchlings a roost and they will use it before they are 4 weeks old, even if there is no mama to teach them.

8. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

my birds dont roost they use the nesting area to cuddle together for sleep and then nest on the floor of the coop to lay their eggs they are all messed up...

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Many chickens have bred to the point they don't have natural instincts to do many things - brood, roost, etc.

10. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    Hurray!! After a couple of weeks of going out EVERY night to put them up on their roost I went out tonight and they were all lined up as pretty as you please on the roosts already [​IMG] I finally accomplished something with them! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I will have to keep going out for a while to make sure they continue and to do a butt count I guess but I am so glad I don't have to worry so much about them suffocating each other any more.

Jay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by