1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens wont roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatsCountryCritters, Oct 15, 2012.

1. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    I have turned an old wooden ladder into a roost and my chickens won't sit on it. They would much rather sit on top of the nesting boxes (not in them) or huddle in a corner on the ground. I will find at least 3 sleeping inside a milk crate. They are all 6 months old and not laying yet. 3 are roos and 7 are hens.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    How tall is your ladder versus your rooster. If your nesting boxes are up higher than your roost they will never roost where you want them too.

I would block off the roosts at night so they have to sleep on the roosts. After a week or so a the new routine you will not need to block them off anymore.

3. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    oh, so you want your roosts up high? All the one's I've seen start close to the floor and go up. I tried putting the ladder up right and they wouldn't go on it, so I laid it about a foot off the ground and they ignore it too. I will try the other way for a while and see if it makes a difference and put something on top of the nesting boxes so they won't go up there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by