my chickies are coming!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmaniac250, Jan 28, 2010.

1. chickmaniac250

chickmaniac250 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2010
    woohoo!my chickies are coming in april!!!![​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].I am sooooooo excited!we're getting 4ameracaunas,4buff orpintons,3 rhode island reds,3 red sussex cross,and 3 red rock crosses.Any important information I need to know?and how do you tell the breeds apart?[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].thankyou

2. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    sounds great! good luck you will have a blast. [​IMG]

3. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Sometimes the hatcheries will have pictures of the way they look as chicks. The ameracaunas will look like chipmunks I think (at least my easter eggers did). The RIRs will be one solid color (reddish). Not sure about the others. I got some black australorps and some dominiques as day olds and didn't realize until much later that their "head spots" were an indicator of breed/sex. Many of the breeds to have some distinctions, but I'm not familiar with all the ones you're getting. Try some google images too and you might find some pics. One thing I noticed is that the day old chick will look completely different when it starts getting the feathers in. It's quite interesting how different they can look as a fuzzy versus a feathered.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by