My chickies are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by parkersmom120106, Feb 5, 2009.

1. parkersmom120106

parkersmom120106 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    I ordered some babies from Ideal and they arrived today. Everyone is alive. I ordered 4 barred rocks, 4 buff orps and 3 silver laced wyandottes. They included 13 packing peanuts. They are dark red colored chicks that I am guessing are RIRs. One of my BRs seems to be sprattle legged. She (or he I ordered 1 roo of each breed) is sitting with one leg off to the side. If I get the leg up under her she will stand, but when she goes to walk the leg goes back out the side. She ends up having to drag herself around. I'm going to do a search on the message boards here and see what I can do about it. Otherwise everyone is healthy and loud lol. They are all eating just fine. I'm still working on getting everyone to drink water. I have them in my bedroom now because everywhere else is the house is something that won't leave them alone (dogs, cat, 2 year old). I wanted them on the floor next to my computer desk so I could actively watch them, but the computer is in the "play room" where my son hangs out, so that won't work. I just have to go back to the bedroom to check on them periodically. I'm so excited about them lol. They shipped out yesterday and I got a call at 10am to come get them. I was expecting them tomorrow, but I read on here of other getting them the next day, so I made sure to have the brooder ready. Glad I did. [​IMG] The only think I wish I had done was order 25 so that I wouldn't have 13 packing peanuts to deal with. If I had thought it through I would have done that.

2. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Yay for new chicks!! So glad to hear everyone made it alright! Wow 13 extras is a lot! I got rid of my extras right away, they eat so darn much! I sold the extras for $5 for all. I'm thinking about placing another order with Ideal because I am obsessed and I cannot help myself. [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    just got my Ideal order this a.m. also!

congrats!

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Congrats everyone! I want chicks so bad this year but I am trying to be very good and just say no. Lol not sure how long that will last, but I'm trying!

5. parkersmom120106

parkersmom120106 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    Just wanted to update on the spraddle legged chick. We made a brace out of a band-aid for her and that was allowing her to stand up tall on both feet. The toes were staying curled on one foot so we made her a boot also. Now she's standing up correctly, but she is still stumbly when she tries to walk. Hopefully that will get better with some time. Now she can get up to the holes in the feeder to eat and that's my main concern. I hope she can get up some strength. I saw poly vi sol vitamins mentioned, are those the ones that are used for human babies? If so I have a bottle left over from when my son was a baby. I'll have to check the expy and give some to gimpy chickie. [​IMG] I'll have to look up the dosage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by