1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chickies may have eaten my earring! advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zonachick, Mar 14, 2015.

1. zonachick

zonachick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

I was in with my flock today and some of my chickens perched on my shoulders and one of my white leghorns pecked my earring but I couldn't tell if she ate it or if it feel in the dirt. I'm really worried... has anyone else had this happen?

That picture was right before she took my earring

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Worrying will not do any good. and there is no remedy for it if it did happen. I would most likely assume that it will just go thru chicken incident free. Many many years ago my nephew swallowed a nickel when he was quite young. IT WENT THRU. WISHING YOU BEST.
    [​IMG]

3. zonachick

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you :)

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Update us in a few days.[​IMG]

5. SouthHouse

SouthHouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    I'd be surprised if they actually swallowed it. I've watched my hens peck around the run and they immediately spit out anything that isn't pleasing to their discerning palate. So, assuming most chickens behave similarly, then my vote is that it got dropped in the dirt.
    I'm curious, so I'll be watching for the update!

6. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Hens swallow stones with sharps ends all the time to help digestion. last week two of my hens ate a good chunk of polystyrene. she will be fine

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A chickens body will interpret any solid object like jewelry as grit or a stone. Your White Leghorn's gizzard will use your ear bob like the giant in Jack and the Bean Stalk would, in other words to grind its daily bread. Sorry!

The things that one finds inside of a chickens' gizzard will astonish and amaze you.

8. zonachick

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you all so much for the replies! It's really put my mind at ease :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by