My Chickies wont eat these ...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wawafiveseven, Aug 5, 2009.

1. wawafiveseven

wawafiveseven In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    My 2 pullets are so ... strange? LoL
    I tried giving them a pealed grape the other day. It was so funny! They walked over to look at it, stared for a few seconds, then ran away as if it would bite them! I knew they were a bit hungry because I hadnt fed them yet. I wanted to see if it was something they woundnt mind eating as a treat. Untill that day, they were only eating feed.
    Yesterday, I tried some letus and almost the same thing! So I tore off some pieces and mixed it with their feed in my hand. As they ate from my hand, they actually pushed out the letus to look for the feed.

Well, I guess its up to them if they don't want treats [​IMG]

Oh yeah! And they don't like to eat feed off the ground [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    What weirdies!!! I take my chicks outside every day and let them eat their breakfast off the ground. They also eat anything you offer them. *except yogurt* They even tried to eat the cat... [​IMG] [​IMG]

My chickies adore ants! That's their favorite thing to do. I was so worried when they converged on a fire ant pile. But none of them got hurt and they finished it off.

3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Wow. they sound like my dad's goats. If it's been on the ground, it might as well not exist, except bananas... My birds eat anything (all foods, my fingers, nail polish, shiny objects, bracelets, even freckles) and they're feed Only goes on the ground. I've tried the feeding out of hands thing... that was painful.

4. wawafiveseven

Jun 8, 2009
    LOL
    Yeah, they are a pair, I must say. I cant tell if they're spoiled, cuz they wont eat off the ground, or picky, cuz they wont eat treats ... But they would be considered spoiled if they liked treats right? LOL

Maybe theyre just healthy eaters? haha

I think they eat ants but I know they dont eat beatles

My boyfriend and I want to try meal worms or crickets next [​IMG]

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    but I know they dont eat beatles

your two ARE wierd [​IMG]

our chickens and chicks alike LOVE chasing down and eating those darned pasture beetles. [​IMG]

6. wawafiveseven

Jun 8, 2009
    Does anyone else think my situation is a little strange?
    haha
    They're about 11 weeks, was I supposed to start sooner? [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickens are afraid of new things. Get something that chickens (normal ones, not your weird ones [​IMG] ) consider a delicacy, like watermelon and leave it with them for awhile. Sooner or later they'll get brave enough to try it.
    My chickens won't eat lettuce or just about any other green I offer. They free-range, so I guess they get their fill of greens. They prefer fruit and bread products.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: