My chickn go beat up an now has a leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovesranch, Nov 23, 2013.

1. lovesranch

lovesranch New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    So my poor wheaten maran got beat up ( Im assuming by the rooster), now she has a bad leg injury. There is not sign of deformity or swelling, but she cannot really put any weight on it. I found her yesterday laying on her side unable to get up and correct herself. Ive had chickens in the past with this same presentation after some injury and Ive lost them all cause they just never get better. So Ive seperated her from the flock in a pen, its been about 2 weeks and this leg seems to be getting worse. Please help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you possibly have Mareks disease in your flock causing the leg problems? Can she stand on one leg if you sit her up? When I have one that has a sprain, I put them in a cage for a week, give B complex vitamins, and re-check, then back in the cage if no better. I can send you links on splinting if you think it would help.

3. lovesranch

lovesranch New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    That would help. I dont think I have Mareks. She got beat up by a rooster, and now I have another hen that seems to be having neck issue and is having difficulty keeping her balance. I just really dont know what to do.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you've had several birds exhibit the same symptoms, my guess would be Marek's Disease. Other possiblities are injury, or a vitamin deficiency. Get both birds that are experiencing leg problems on some vitamins, and isolate from the rest of the flock in a well-bedded area without roosts. Check the ears of the bird that is having trouble having her balance. If they are swollen or have discharge, an ear infection could be causing the problem. Wry neck, sometimes caused by a vitamin deficiency, could also cause a "neck issue".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by