My chicks 1st night out in coop

kimbymarie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Hello, just wanted to vent. I'm a nervous chick mother. It is my babies first night out and I feel like crying. I know that must seem so weird. I feel that their coop is completely predator proof, and I have a heat lamp in there. Live in NE and nights have still been a little cool. Just couldn't keep them in the house anymore. They were starting to fly up and out of the area I made for them. They really seemed to enjoy the run during the day. Hope they enjoy there night. I may not sleep well though. I would feel so much better if they were closer to the house. The coop is about 100 ft away. I'm so use to all my pets being in the house safe and sound for the night. Just feels weird to have a pets outside alone all night. My husband thinks I'm losing it. Am I?
sad.png

I will feel the same way. I need to move mine out soon. They are starting to fly around the bathroom. I went in there today and all 6 of them were line up on the rim of their tote. It was adorable, but so inappropriate! lol

I feel weird when my girls are outside during the day in their chicken tractor. I check on them constantly, just like they were my human children.

I anticipate being a wreck when my girls move outside, and I plan to have them close to the house. Like on the carport! By the backdoor! lol

I would be a mess if they were 100 feet from the house. I'd probably have to get a tent and a sleeping back myself.
roll.png

Good luck!

I went through the same thing and I am a farm raised, mature, pragmatic woman most of the time, until it came to my baby peeps spending the night out in the dark, scary coop for the first time all by themselves. They were fine, but I was a mess. It was right up there with taking your child to school for the first day and leaving them there without mommy.

I was a wreck too. I went out like every 20 min to check on them and didn't sleep worth a darn. They will be just fine though. Just calm down.
big_smile.png

Mine are out in the garage in their "graduated" coop/brooder until the LARGE project that is the coop is completed and I'm a wreck. I'll be a true mess once they're waaaaaay out in the yard. I've already decided motion detector lights and an electric fence is in order.
wink.png

Some of my chicks are spending their first night outside tonight too! I'm going a bit crazy and am absolutely convinced that their baby sounding chirps are going to attract every predator in the woods. I watched them for about two hours at dusk to make sure they found a comfy roost. Would you believe it? They choose one that was even HIGHER than I constructed (they found space on a beam at the very top!). They made momma proud...but not much more relaxed!
hmm.png

My silkie babies are staying inside FOREVERRRRR..
celebrate.gif
....ok maybe not, but I may be camping out when the day comes, they are tiny babies still so I have time
jumpy.gif

My 5 week-olds went into their coop 3 nights ago, and I am now just starting to be less nervous. Is it weird that mine won't roost? They sleep in a pile on the floor in the non- heated lighted corner.

Back
Top Bottom