My chicks are 1 week old, can I give them treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by connor97, Dec 26, 2012.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering what are some good treats to feed them every once and a while?
    Yesterday I found some worms in the garden and they went nuts over them ! Is it okay that I feed them worms or could this possibly hurt them since they are so little?

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I don't know if the worms are good or bad for them, but I do know a good treat for them. Every once in a while when I have baby chicks I give them blended up uncooked oatmeal instead of their usual feed.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Yeah, if they were out in the yard they would eat all kinds of bugs. I give mealworms so they learn early not to bite my fingers and be gentle.

4. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Worms are fine. Just make sure they have some grit to go with the worms.

5. friendlyfowl97

friendlyfowl97 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    When my girls were babies they loved yogurt, mealworms and scrambled eggs. If you cant get grit right now and still want to give them a treat, yogurt is the best way to go [​IMG] It's so funny and entertaining watching them run around with sticky yogurt beards[​IMG]

6. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I gave my 15 chicks that were a week old a tablespoon of cooked rice with a tsp. of sour cream. It was just enough they all got a few pieces of rice each and the sour cream is good for digestion. I usually wait for almost another week before giving them anything else in the treat line. You don't want to overdue it. I agree if they were outside with a mama hen they would be eating all kinds of worms and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by